• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clock spring question

ghettocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has been recently showing signs of a bad clock spring. No horn, no cruise control, and my gauges seem to decide when they want to work. I went to pick and pull and got a "new" clock spring off a 97+ Cherokee. I have a 98. The Cherokee had cruise control but the controls were not mounted on the steering wheel. They were mounted on top of the blinker lever. So when I tried to replace it, it didn't have the same hook ups. If I install the new part, I am assuming I will lose cruise control. Is that right? I have also taken my gauges off and slightly twisted the electrical connectors. It worked for awhile but it has gotten worse. I need them to be working for the Jeep safari at the end if the month. Thanks for looking.

There are 2 part numbers for 1997-01 clock springs, one for cruise control, and one for non-cruise control.

You can use a CC clock spring in a non-CC equipped XJ, you just will have an extra wire plug with nothing to hook it to.

The controls are just the standard on the steering wheel controls. I have CC on mine, the clock spring off the donor jeep doesn't have the same hooks as the clock spring that is currently on my rig. If I use this part I am assuming I just won't have working CC

If the cruise control switches are not integrated into the steering wheel, the cruise is an aftermarket install.

A non-CC clock spring should work, and yes your CC will be inoperative. The 1997-01 airbag system is self-testing, if all the other airbag system components are good, you will know right away if the new clock spring functions correctly.

Back