• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I running to cold?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pretty much new cooling system now, over the past few months I've swapped out the water pump, new hoses,new thermostat, new sending unit in the back of the block and here recently I went from a close system to an open system, and installed a ZJ HD fan clutch today... Anyways It's almost 70 degrees today and I've drove it about 10 miles and here's where I sit on the gauge
FA8877A7-D722-4278-8D3F-94BDDC51EC13-1470-000000A19080EB53_zps6a57e858.jpg

I know it's not summer time but it seems cool even for the spring time

thats your issue, you only drove for 10 miles. drive 150-200 miles in 100 degree* heat uphill in the sierras with 36" tires and 4.88s and see how hot it gets then. Its the middle of winter I wouldnt stress, although you could test the thermostat to make sure its not staying stuck open.

Well driving around town it's around there also but I'm going to do a trail run tomorrow so well see how it goes, I'm hoping to have 4.88's with my 33's by summer right now I'm still lugging 3.55's and it doesn't like hills at all!

Mikey i think thats good! Your mileage may lack some because it doesnt get up to the original operating temp. But id prefer to loose some mileage vs running warm.

mine runs very similar, and i also did a conversion like you did except im using a standard XJ fan clutch. i just think of it as its better than it overheating. its nice when in 4lo going up steep trails for miles on end, gives a much larger gap between overheating and operating temp and when it does approach the red i can just flip on the fan and it goes right back down to about 180.

I bet you swapped a lower thermostat in or they mixed them up. Our jeeps need 195 degree stats, also your RPM's look a bit low?

My jeep gets up to 195-200s in like a few mins driving all year round, my cummins on the other hand takes like 15 miles of driving to get some heat!

My 93 ran at or below 180 for 6 months. I just replaces all my cooling items, hoses, water pump, tstat, coolant. Now it goes to 195 in minutes and stays right there. Might be a different story come July & crawlin, but I also only run the clutch fan, I have an electric fan on a switch but have not needed to use it yet.

I have the same issue in my 96 XJ. I recently changed out the thermostat. Someone put in a 180 degree stat years ago. I replaced it with a 195 degree one. My drive to work is a 200 ft elevation gain and is about 6 miles. My coolant typically fluctuates between 192-198 degrees now. I'm curious to see how it's going to do in the summer, especially when I take it out of the mountains to hot ass Denver.

i put in a new 195 t stat when i updated my cooling system, it still runs cool like i mentioned before. oh well, it could be worse

Agreed, I took it on a trail that took 6 hours today when we stopped and it idled, it would climb near 195 and I would flip the switch for my electric fan and walk away, when I returned it would be back to cool like in the pic, ran solid all day today. This trail was a nice sandy wash with lots of rocky sections

Back