• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets Brainstorm

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
Hey all,

I would like to know some feedback on expectations of this years Crawl. So far our plans haven't really changed from the previous years, but I wanted to get some ideas of possible changes or new ideas.

What don't you like about previous Crawls?

Is there anything you would do different?

What new things would you like to see happen?

One idea I have been tossing around is some sort of event that would bring multiple ride groups together. I thought about this after the Easy group got to watch Ghost and Tyler in Lions Den. I thought it was an excellent experience for our group to see some carnage and harder trails.

What about a simple timed event at the lower rock garden? Make some rig categories and have a 50/50 reward for best time. The smaller groups would have one finish line, the larger groups would go all the way through. I wouldn't want to get extremely competitive with this though.

The more conversation and ideas we get going the better. Help me out!

free beer.

.......carry on.

actual we need to do a better job of designated trail leaders and meeting times etc.

have it planned out whos riding with who and where, even if your showing up and just riding with your buddies, post up so we can do a better job of dispersing people into groups that fit best for them, and were all not deciding when we roll down hung over after breakfast :D some people drive a really long way and we owe it to them to maximize the wheeling time that they like

Last edited:
I agree with Doug, I think we need more of a schedule (with departing times and trail leaders) for the rides. If we have 18 people who want to do a intermediate ride, we should split it up etc. etc.

I like the idea of a fun competition run. As long as it doesnt get out of hand, it could be fun...

We could even do a recovery/winching class with different scenarios for folks who are new to learn how to safely perform a recovery, or any other type of class/presentation/etc.

free beer.

.......carry on.

Where!?!? :D

In all seriousness though, I like the idea of trying to organize departure times better. Last year it was "meet at the campground at 8am" or something like that. Some people were there at 8am, some weren't.

Nobody seemed to have a problem coming back in the afternoon in time for dinner though....lol. Except one group, but they had several issues with break downs that delayed them.

We need a schedule.

Group 1 is going to X, Y and Z trails on Friday
Group 2 is etc.

Doug and I thought we were leading a trail last year and when everyone drove off, we were the only 2 jeeps still sitting there. Give people an idea of what's available and what they can sign up for. There needs to be more organization prior to the driver's meeting on lining people up behind their trail leaders so everyone knows where to park to get ready to ride.

I think it's a good idea to give people an opportunity to go watch other obstacles, but it should be kept on an individual level. Watching your trail leader drive away in the afternoon because they want to go somewhere that you hadn't intended to go and then left on your own to figure out how to get back to the campground sucks. If you're going to do it, you need to make sure that everyone is on board in the morning or you need to have a plan to get people back when you split up. Not everyone knows where to go.

You might even end up driving down a closed trail and almost flipping the jeep down the mountain because you read the map wrong. ;)

I know food is hard to come by in Harlan. Maybe we should make the saturday dinner a burger burn and potluck instead of friday and we won't be waiting on food to show up. I'm sure there are a few people who would come down off the trail early to make that happen. If the chapter puts up the money for the burgers, hot dogs or whatever, and people bring the rest, the ticket prices would be cheaper.

We need a schedule.

Group 2 is etc.

Doug and I thought we were leading a trail last year and when everyone drove off, we were the only 2 jeeps still sitting there. Give people an idea of what's available and what they can sign up for. There needs to be more organization prior to the driver's meeting on lining people up behind their trail leaders so everyone knows where to park to get ready to ride.

I think it's a good idea to give people an opportunity to go watch other obstacles, but it should be kept on an individual level. Watching your trail leader drive away in the afternoon because they want to go somewhere that you hadn't intended to go and then left on your own to figure out how to get back to the campground sucks. If you're going to do it, you need to make sure that everyone is on board in the morning or you need to have a plan to get people back when you split up. Not everyone knows where to go.

You might even end up driving down a closed trail and almost flipping the jeep down the mountain because you read the map wrong. ;)

I know food is hard to come by in Harlan. Maybe we should make the saturday dinner a burger burn and potluck instead of friday and we won't be waiting on food to show up. I'm sure there are a few people who would come down off the trail early to make that happen. If the chapter puts up the money for the burgers, hot dogs or whatever, and people bring the rest, the ticket prices would be cheaper.

i agree 100%...no offense to the local vendors but the trouble to get the food all there is a lot of time and expenditure. I dont mind cooking but being the guy in charge of the potluck is difficult. i would be happy to help the bod organize and once we have a menu ask to have said items done potluck style and split amongst the attendees, we never have a shortage of volunteers to donate food but no people to prepare it...so we could have a few volunteers to make it back and set/up prepare dinner. then anyone who didn't donate or volunteer for a job can kick in a few bucks for a plate and we put it all in the sec land use money.

if i had to feed all those people myself that is how i would do it.....

i agree 100%...no offense to the local vendors but the trouble to get the food all there is a lot of time and expenditure. I dont mind cooking but being the guy in charge of the potluck is difficult. i would be happy to help the bod organize and once we have a menu ask to have said items done potluck style and split amongst the attendees, we never have a shortage of volunteers to donate food but no people to prepare it...so we could have a few volunteers to make it back and set/up prepare dinner. then anyone who didn't donate or volunteer for a job can kick in a few bucks for a plate and we put it all in the sec land use money.

if i had to feed all those people myself that is how i would do it.....

This is ok if people get off the trail in time, but you know how that goes.....

make it less hot

Sissy! :D

I think the crawl does get better every year since i've been coming down. Really need to see about catering way in advance since it seems like its hard to find anything in the area. I agree about more set practices of getting groups together, its pretty obvious who is going to run with who but getting everyone together for pictures some where like the stadium might be cool.

but getting everyone together for pictures some where like the stadium might be cool.

This. Two years ago we kinda had a big group photo at the pizza dinner at the campground. Never got a big group shot last year...

As long as I can find AC charge cans at oriellys I can hang....

And as long as I remember to bring my AC hose. Which...considering how much mine leaks, it's pretty much a guarantee that i'll have it...

We need a schedule.

Group 2 is etc.

No issue on a schedule.

I was the trail leader on your ride, just so everyone is clear. Everyone wanted to go to Lion's Den and that was noted that morning.

Pot luck idea would be great.

The rock run in one of the rock gardens could be fun. I guess the lower rock garden has the most room for spectators.

No issue on a schedule.

I was the trail leader on your ride, just so everyone is clear. Everyone wanted to go to Lion's Den and that was noted that morning.

Pot luck idea would be great.

The rock run in one of the rock gardens could be fun. I guess the lower rock garden has the most room for spectators.

Everyone would have included me, so I guess you didn't ask everyone. I distinctly remember you asking after lunch if that's what people wanted to do and them coordinating it over the radios. Maybe your memory is fuzzy.

There has been an issue with the groups for trail rides since I went to the crawl for the first time in 2007. There's little organization and most of it is made up on the fly 10 minutes before everyone leaves.

I'm not trying to point fingers or place blame. You guys are asking what you can do better. Organizing your event so that its an event and not a bunch of guys hanging out for a weekend is something you can do better. It's not the first time it's been brought up.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep the positive criticisms coming. This is a big help because it lets me focus on certain areas to improve. I am rather relieved to see the idea of a pot luck on Saturday instead of catering.

We will discuss and address grouping and ride times to see how we can improve. Please do understand that we can ultimately control only so much, there will always be someone late (hungover) or unexpected mechanical issues. One of the greatest things I have seen about NAXJA and SEC is the unity of our group on the trails. I'm not excusing someone being late to the roll-out, but what are we to do, leave them behind? Having better plans and groups/leaders will help with this I'm sure, but don't expect a perfect departure everyday.

I used to help and trail lead at crozet.

Trail guides rigs line up according to difficulty of run. Rigs line up behind them. If you're a guide be on time! If you are unable due to being hungover, then you probably shouldn't be a guide. Have a check in time and a leave time. These times are firm. No guarantees after those times. If your not behind your leader the whole group doesn't get held up for one person because they can't get out of bed.

This way all the hungover people get stuck together.

Also know what trails you are going to run in advance and stick to that.

Sounds kinda harsh but when you run a big event versus hanging out you have to stick to times.

Sounds kinda harsh but when you run a big event versus hanging out you have to stick to times.

this....anyone who volunteers to be a trail leader needs to sit down with a map and plan a route for the day with contingency trails added if you blow through the rest.

hell i might even go up and pre-run to get an idea on trail condition

Back