• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year dana 30s have the same inner shafts as my 01?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I snapped a front shaft, Need a replacement. Someone gave me a set but I guess it's from an old one with the CV passenger inner and driver inner has the smaller ujoint. If I want the same I have , how low can I go in model and still find? 97-01s are short supply in Orlando. I know there are a ton of 94-96s in my nearest yard. Would the shafts be the same? I have an 01 BTW and I am told the ujoints are same size as a 44.

Mine had that too and I busted it as well. I have long taken off the ABS, does that ring just come off? So the ones with ABS are only ones that have the bigger joints and the longer wheel studs?

66131_10200497549831562_1581053930_n.jpg

The tone ring is a tight fit, but not welded or bolted. I've mounted them by putting the tone ring in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes, and the shaft in the freezer, they drop right on, and in a couple of seconds, won't move without being cut off.

Some time around 95, all XJs got the bigger u-joints. My 94 came with 260s.

One other thing. The cap diameter on a 297/760 u-joint is 1.18". A 260 is around 1.06".

Don't know about the wheel studs.

Actually, you might have other issues with the unit bearing hub assembly. There are some differences depending on which brake rotor is used, it's in the distance between wheel mounting surface and knuckle. I don't recall what the differences are.

But if he only needs the shaft that won't be an issue, the reason ABS shafts are recommeneded all the time is they came with the larger u-joint long before the base models switched so if you find ABS you're good to go. The only unit bearing he can use will be from '00-'01 anyway (well, middle of '99 to '06 TJ/XJ if you wanna split hairs). Given what he's likely to find in the JY's don't bother trying to use the bearings just get the shaft. You can get by using a complete 260 shaft set but if you sanpped a 297 don't expect much other than daily driving out of it.

Other sources for shafts will be 96-98 ZJ's (even the CV shafts can be used if desperate) and 97-06 TJ's.

My main goal is to replace what I broke ,and get spares. My buddy had a spare hub with the inner/outers attached off a tj and it got me wheeling with in 10 minutes and the 2 hr drive home. Not sure what year but want to say out of a 2000 TJ. Guess I'll start but seeing what yards have to offer. thanks

A 2000+ TJ shaft/unit assembly would be a complete bolt in swap for you ... grab what you can, as they are usually the first thing snagged ... shafts are pretty scarce around here now for the same reasons.
The TJ's have the exact same front axle as your year XJ so they are a no brainer.

In all my years picking yards, never once have I come across a TJ. lol 70s mail trucks and XJs are all I see with a WJ or ZJ every now and then .

Making this wayy too hard dude

exactly

FleXJ96 - if you found a ZJ, pull the shafts from that.

to make this easier ...
In a nut shell ... a d30 shaft, is a d30 shaft, from 84-01 ... the only exceptions are CAD, and the 260 size u-joints on earlier shafts (pre '95 non ABS), and CV's in the ZJ. The axle shafts themselves are the same lengths and splines. All other differences were external (hubs/brakes). Even a YJ shaft could be used for the driverside, and the pass side only if you have CAD but again u-joint size is a concern.

if that's a problem buy an aftermarket set and use what you have now for spares.

except for WJs. WJs have different width d30s, their shafts are also CVs.

Donors you want for 760 size shafts:
95 and later - ALL XJs and ZJs (I think some ZJs had CVs, so check before starting to pull the shaft), all TJs
94 and down - only ABS models. 91/92 or so and earlier may have vac disconnect axles. The yokes on these shafts are the weaker pressed-on design rather than the one piece shaft forging so I would avoid them unless they are all that's available.

If you want 760 size ujoints in a vac disconnect axle, look for 95 wranglers. The only unique shaft is the right inner from the vac disconnect to the ujoint, afaik the intermediate shaft from the diff to the disconnect is the same and all the stubs are the same as any other 760 size stub.

as far as I know all D30 shafts off an XJ are the same length with exception to axle disco shafts. If you just want spares any year will work to get you home. I have 2 long(pass side) & 1 short(drivers side) for spares. I wouldn't worry bout u-joint size or if it's a CV style if it's just a spare to get you home.

To fit an 01'
Any TJ D30 shafts - abs or not
Any OBDII XJ (96 and up)- abs or not.
SPOBI

your year split is off. 95 and up XJ shafts.

Back