• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension measured. Now do I want a longer or shorter shock?

AZjeepin1

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to measuring my front articulation for new shocks and came up with these numbers-

23'' extended
14.75 collapsed

Now, I'm confused as to what size shock to get. Do I want a shock that is larger than necessary (i.e. 24'' extended 15.75'' collapsed) or smaller than necessary? I know I don't want the shock to act as a bump or limiting strap...

Optimally you want a shock that's both, longer extended and shorter collapsed. That usually requires bump stopping and/or limit strapping. If I pulled my bump stops and limit chains(I'm a cheap bastard), my shocks would be acting as bumpstops and limit straps.

I've always purchased the longest shock I could get that was nearly the same measurements collapsed, but always at least as long extended as I measured. If the selected shock is longed than my measured collapsed length, make sure you add plenty of bump stop. Oh, and make sure you don't measure the collapsed length to just the end of the resting jounce stop. I made that mistake once.

Back