• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Hitting 3-Row Radiator?

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know I have seen a few threads about the mechanical fan eating CSF 3 row radiators. I have had one in my '00 DD for a couple years with no trouble, but I am getting ready to install one in my '97 that gets wheeled pretty hard and I'm paranoid about trashing the new radiator. I know it's usually caused by bad engine/ tranny mounts, but I'd like to avoid upgrading them right now if at all possible. I have the front end all torn down and I have removed the A/C condenser, so I was thinking of moving the radiator forward. Can anyone tell me where there fan usually makes contact? Lower part of the radiator? Also, has anybody tried moving it forward?
Thanks

Last edited:
I understand the want to keep it on the cheap, but if you have it torn down why not spend the extra Hundy and get some brown dogs? Pushing the rad is like duck taping.

I understand the want to keep it on the cheap, but if you have it torn down why not spend the extra Hundy and get some brown dogs? Pushing the rad is like duck taping.

I agree.

I guess I can probably swing the brown dogs, just feel like I've been throwing money at this thing for years, and I'm ready to drive it for once... It's been on jackstands for a couple years, just want to "finish" it. I suppose I'll need a new tranny mount too? Any suggestions? Has any body had fan/ radiator problems, with aftermarket mounts? Also, should I get poly mounts for the engine and tranny? I don't care about vibes, it's not a dd and there are plenty of other noises and vibes.
Thanks

Yes, do the trans mount as well as the motor mounts. Brown Dog has a pretty good reputation here over the last couple of years.

Personally, I'd run rubber, rather than poly.

So I ordered some poly brown dogs and a new OEM tranny mount from the dealer. When I was replacing the tranny mount I remembered that the crossmember is dropped about 1/2" due to the 3/16" stiffeners and the 1/4" long arm brackets. I don't have anything bolted to the front of my engine, but what I'm wondering is will the slight t-case drop make the fan situation better or worse? Where does the fan usually contact the radiator? I have found lots of post with people that had the problem, but could find pictures where it actually hits. If it's on the bottom half of the fan, I'm thinking the drop will make it worse and I should put a spacer on the crossmember or tranny mount to push the t-case back up into the stock location...
Thanks

I know I have seen a few threads about the mechanical fan eating CSF 3 row radiators. I have had one in my '00 DD for a couple years with no trouble, but I am getting ready to install one in my '97 that gets wheeled pretty hard and I'm paranoid about trashing the new radiator. I know it's usually caused by bad engine/ tranny mounts, but I'd like to avoid upgrading them right now if at all possible. I have the front end all torn down and I have removed the A/C condenser, so I was thinking of moving the radiator forward. Can anyone tell me where there fan usually makes contact? Lower part of the radiator? Also, has anybody tried moving it forward?
Thanks

We moved the radiator forward on the Team Naxja jeep.

Start around post 575 or so and skim until you find it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1075100

or just run electric fans and throw the belt driving unit away.i did that years ago.. keep your radiator were it is. my 2cent

Re: Re: Fan Hitting 3-Row Radiator?

or just run electric fans and throw the belt driving unit away.i did that years ago.. keep your radiator were it is. my 2cent

Moving it forward is not bad as room is available in your application. But efan upgrade is totally worth it. You can even use just a second stock fan if you choose.

Thanks

Hits at the fan clutch. Borrows a hole though the last row.
PITA to fix, and seriously un-repairable if you bought an aluminum one.

As mentioned before, poly Engine mounts at the least. Best to replace Trans mount too as probably worn out by now.

In my experience, the cost and efficiency of a 3 core isn't there, even with an Automatic. I would go 2 core to give yourself a row of fins distance, and add a trans cooler if it's an automatic. I would only upgrade if your current one is shot.

Ah, I just re-read above again again. You bought one already...
Well, I guess move it forward and do the mounts.

I got the poly brown dogs and a new OEM trans mount. I think this will help keep things put, and from looking at it I think the mild drop will help keep the clutch out of the new rad. I won't know until it's all back together, but I haven't had any problems with my '00 DD and all factory mounts.

I put my fan through the rad on my 94. Had a 3 row. This was on a 5spd rig and happened right after I regeared to 4.10s. Bad motor mounts were the reason

If the mounts are fine you have enough clearance

Hits at the fan clutch. Borrows a hole though the last row.
PITA to fix, and seriously un-repairable if you bought an aluminum one.

As mentioned before, poly Engine mounts at the least. Best to replace Trans mount too as probably worn out by now.

In my experience, the cost and efficiency of a 3 core isn't there, even with an Automatic. I would go 2 core to give yourself a row of fins distance, and add a trans cooler if it's an automatic. I would only upgrade if your current one is shot.

Ah, I just re-read above again again. You bought one already...
Well, I guess move it forward and do the mounts.
Minor nitpick, unrepairable if you bought an aluminum one and don't know how to braze/don't have some alumaweld with you :gee:

I am much better at soldering copper/brass than I am at alumawelding but I practiced on a junk aluminum radiator a couple days ago and it really didn't come out too badly for my first alumaweld project. Still need to pressure test it.

Back