• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much overheating can a jeep take?

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
This question relates to a recent thread about an accident I had that caused my radiator to start leaking.

I noticed it was leaking right away after I crashed, but I drove it anyway. The temp stays at 210 without fail every day. I drove it about 2.5 miles at about 60mph and it never reached 225. As soon as I slowed down the temp spiked almost to the max. I shut it off as soon as that happened. Let it cool down for a minute and then idled it about 500 ft more.

The radiator was steaming pretty good about halfway through the trip, and the weather was pretty cold.

Be honest here, did I make a fatal mistake driving it that probably caused some major damage?

It starts up fine, and Idles pretty normal when the engine is cold.

I wouldn't of driven it... Causing it to spike could have warped the head but I've gotten mine pretty hot to the point I shut it off to cool off and caused it to vapor lock... And mine was still ok afterwards.

What year make and model cherokee?

Thanks for the reply, Im pretty stressed about this right now.

I have a 2000, and as Ive read the head is weak on this model.

Would there be any noticeable differences, even though it idles alright?

You'll start having over heating problems, water in your oil (look milky brown)
Other symptoms (which likely indicate a more severe problem) might include a “hot engine smell” coming from the radiator (like the smell of burning oil or hot metal), erratic power and even power loss.

So, Im going to buy a radiator. If I only replace that, and nothing else (assuming it solves the leak) will it be fine, until I start noticing the problems you pointed out?

I know this is just basics, but at least I can know for sure.

Shit happens. Check your oil for milkyness before you drive the xj to go pickup the radiator. I hope you at least add'd water as it leaked out.

With an 01 you might end up with a cracked head, keep an eye on your coolant and oil like xcm said.

My 98 ZJ motor that's in my 91 MJ has been overheated till the gauge pegged and the upper radiator hose exploded due to a stuck thermostat and a fan clutch that failed on the trail (two years ago now), and overheated to near the top of the red zone on the gauge for probably 30 minutes on the highway on my way to Pennsylvania last summer in traffic. No issues yet.

I only overheated once with my 89 and that's because of the air bubbles in my closed cooling system, but since I did the open cooling rad. Swap ZJ HD fan new hoses and water pump

Only the radiator and fan clutch recently... Anyway my new operating temp in 70 degree driving weather looks like this
FA8877A7-D722-4278-8D3F-94BDDC51EC13-1470-000000A19080EB53_zps6a57e858.jpg

Hopefully for summer when it sees 110 degrees It won't have heat issues on the trail :)

I pegged my '00 back in November at a club trail ride, and for about 10 mins or so was moving till I got to where I could shut it down. Did and its been using coolant, but oil still looks good. Still getting great gas mileage prior to this event, not getting over 18mpg now. Was getting 20mpg when I first got it. New head and parts going on it starting this Wednesday, so hopefully I get the head before then so I can get the rest of it together by Friday with some local help.

Jeff

Back