• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i swear my jeep is trying to kill me....

oldcancer

NAXJA Forum User
1992 xj 2 door

search turned up no results, so either i'm exceedingly smart or this topic hasn't been brought up yet :rolleyes:

so recently my seat belt has been undoing itself at random moments....

such as when i'm doing highway speeds and all that jazz

sometimes i literally have to put it in the buckle 30 times before it finally stays....for about 5 minutes

anyways, i was wondering if there's any possible way to take apart the buckle and replace whatever spring may be in there

i'd like to try that as ever since this started happening, the button in the buckle seems to have no springiness to it anymore

i would simply replace the buckle with another but i do live in canada so even after spraying the bolt with penetrating fluid for an entire week....i'll still run the risk of breaking it....(#*&^ rust weld)

anyways, thanks in advance for any input

Mine went out last summer. I just insert the belt and tap on the back of the latch to engage.

I just need the short piece of belt with the latch.

Latch looks pressed or bent together

i would like to try to repair the current one if possible, because as i said i do live in canada so the bolt is likely literally welded to the body due to rust, so if anyone knows how to get the cover off to repair it that would be cool (my buddy has an 87 where the cover literally fell off), but worst case scenario i will just get a replacement and spray the living crap out of the bolt for 2 weeks prior to actually replacing it in hopes that it doesn't strip or break

I would replace it. After all, that's all that is stopping you from hitting the windshield in an accident.

Soak the bolt from the top and bottom, use a brand new good quality torx bit. Break it loose then tighten it back up and keep spraying it. It will eventually come out without issue.

I had that issue in my 94, got one from a yard for less than 5 bucks.

Measure the "male" end, take a phone photo, hit the nearest U-pull-it and find a comparable "female" end.

Sometimes the "female" ends just fill up with crapola--hair, dust, fuzz, etc.--and stop locking.

PS--"The Red Queen"--my XJ--is a murderous "B" and tried to get me earlier this week on the freeway at 55 mph with "sudden" onset Death Wobble. She wouldn't give up until I got her under 25 while trying to get on the shoulder. The cause? Failure of the draglink TRE at the pitman arm, now replaced with a Heim joint. I would have considered a seat belt unlatching as a "love" tap.

Last edited:
Back