• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump 98xj

bluedevils278

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen alot of write ups on how to replace the water pump, but not which water pump is best. Can anyone tell me their experiences with pumps? I'm wondering if there is a good place online or getting one from NAPA or even Advance Auto. Also, where should I get the stuff to do a tune up? Plugs, wires, distr cap and button...

98xj
I6
Aw4
NP242

Last edited:
I've had good luck with the Napa brand ones (premium, not the basic ones); however, I've seen some bad press on the jeep forums about them. If you really want a good one, the Flowkooler high flow water pumps are extremely well made. My 96 XJ is going on 10 years with one.

I've had good luck with the Napa brand ones (premium, not the basic ones); however, I've seen some bad press on the jeep forums about them. If you really want a good one, the Flowkooler high flow water pumps are extremely well made. My 96 XJ is going on 10 years with one.

Should I get the 1747 seen here?

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com...1747<br>Jeep<br>(1987-2001)/product_info.html

Thanks for replying. I've read quite a bit about high flow water pumps. IIRC, Hensco is the other brand. Good to hear someone's experience though. I'll order the Flowkooler when it's confirmed that's the one I need.

Thanks again,
JP

I've also had good luck with the NAPA branded pumps.

Also keep in mind that Bosch is the only company that I am aware of that says that they
use case-hardened bearings on their pumps. That is not to say that other companies do
not do this also - but Bosch is the only company that actually says they use hardened
bearings on every one of their WPs.

I think the key to having your WP live longer is to:

1) use an antifreeze (not water, only) as it has some lubricating properties to help
protect the rubber seals.

2) be very mindful to not over-tension the serpentine belt.

Back