• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Traction lift kits?

Teeeejay

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I was looking at possibly getting the FT 3.5" short arm kit with full leaves. Does anyone have anything to say about the kit? I've only ever seen things about the long arms.

The long arm kit is nice. It's capable of surviving Cal. Don't know anything about the short arm kits, does it come with drop brackets to keep the arms parallel vs at an angle? That makes quite a difference.

I'm a big fan of the long arm kit (I have the 3.5" LA kit). I would recommend checking your shackle angle after installing the rear leaves though. My shackle was vertical afterwards.

That is my only real complaint about the kit though. The rest of it has worked great. :)

The long arm kit is nice. It's capable of surviving Cal. Don't know anything about the short arm kits, does it come with drop brackets to keep the arms parallel vs at an angle? That makes quite a difference.

It does not have drop brackets.

What other 3" kits should I consider? I don't really want RC/Rusty's or anything lower quality. I was looking at possibly OME 2" leaves, a 1" shackle, and some 3" coils of some sort.

I've been very happy with my RE 5.5" kit. It's been on the jeep since 2006. No real issues. At the lower lifts you're fine, but once you start getting above 3" or so, you start running into driveline vibration issues. You also run into front caster issues which need adjustable or longer arms. The kits usually compensate for the caster. There's a chart around that shows what length arm to use for what lift. Also consider when you raise the jeep, your arms are still connected in the same place. So 3" of lift has the arms at 3" of droop. Drop brackets lower the frame/body side mount, so the RE 5.5" kit is like having 1.5" of lift. The arms are almost parallel to the ground like a stocker. If you were going to drop coin on the full traction, look at RE also. As for Rusty's, I've been watching a lot of powerblock and it looks like his quality has come up. Not sure on where he's sourcing joints from though. Oh, what size tires are you trying to run? You may be able to get by with just trimming.

It does not have drop brackets.

What other 3" kits should I consider? I don't really want RC/Rusty's or anything lower quality. I was looking at possibly OME 2" leaves, a 1" shackle, and some 3" coils of some sort.

You cannot go wrong with RE if you don't go with full traction. Tomken machine makes a great 4" kit with angled lower arms to alleviate some of the need for drop brackets. I ran their kit for almost 5 years and had no complaints. www.tomken.com

Like you mentioned though, for just 3" of lift, you could probably piece together something really nice (will most likely cost more in the end) and use the best components of each company to make the best possible combo. You could use something like OME leaves, ironman4x4 adjustable shackles (or HD engineering shackle relocation bracket with stock or upgraded shackles), jks upper and lower adjustable control arms, RE coil springs.

I've been very happy with my RE 5.5" kit. It's been on the jeep since 2006. No real issues. At the lower lifts you're fine, but once you start getting above 3" or so, you start running into driveline vibration issues. You also run into front caster issues which need adjustable or longer arms. The kits usually compensate for the caster. There's a chart around that shows what length arm to use for what lift. Also consider when you raise the jeep, your arms are still connected in the same place. So 3" of lift has the arms at 3" of droop. Drop brackets lower the frame/body side mount, so the RE 5.5" kit is like having 1.5" of lift. The arms are almost parallel to the ground like a stocker. If you were going to drop coin on the full traction, look at RE also. As for Rusty's, I've been watching a lot of powerblock and it looks like his quality has come up. Not sure on where he's sourcing joints from though. Oh, what size tires are you trying to run? You may be able to get by with just trimming.

I'm looking to run 33x12.5s on 3" or so. I was really looking at the RE kit, but I have nothing on my Jeep so it could sit around 4.5" from what I've read.

You cannot go wrong with RE if you don't go with full traction. Tomken machine makes a great 4" kit with angled lower arms to alleviate some of the need for drop brackets. I ran their kit for almost 5 years and had no complaints. www.tomken.com

Like you mentioned though, for just 3" of lift, you could probably piece together something really nice (will most likely cost more in the end) and use the best components of each company to make the best possible combo. You could use something like OME leaves, ironman4x4 adjustable shackles (or HD engineering shackle relocation bracket with stock or upgraded shackles), jks upper and lower adjustable control arms, RE coil springs.

Something like this is at what I was looking. I'm definitely getting Bilsteins, and I know I'll need an SYE, so I may just go a tiny bit higher than 3.5". Also, I know JKS arms use rubber bushings, which aren't as flexible as heims/JJs, but are they still really good? I've read mixed reviews.

Something like this is at what I was looking. I'm definitely getting Bilsteins, and I know I'll need an SYE, so I may just go a tiny bit higher than 3.5". Also, I know JKS arms use rubber bushings, which aren't as flexible as heims/JJs, but are they still really good? I've read mixed reviews.

JJ are good, hiems are good. But not for a dd, a JJ would be good on one end. A JJ and a bushing is great on a dd rig

If I was going for only 3" of lift, I'd run a set if shackle relocators, 1.5" lift shackle, and a 1" lift pair of u-bolt eliminators. Should net about 3-3.5" with stick leaves, and flex as good as or better than just about any lift spring out there. With a stock rear spring, a jy replacement would be available in damn near every yard in America. Up front I'd run some metal cloak dual rate tj coils, but that's because I've had a coil spring fall out of the bucket, and it wasn't good. I'd build my own mid arm 3-link with heims all around. If you can weld and fab brackets, you'd end up with something far better than any kit for close to the same money.

I know this isn't a "Wanted" thread, but I do have a set of 3" pucks and adjustable upper and lower RE short arms taking up space. I'm on the RE long arms now and I like that set up a little better for the "go fast" stuff.

I know this isn't a "Wanted" thread, but I do have a set of 3" pucks and adjustable upper and lower RE short arms taking up space. I'm on the RE long arms now and I like that set up a little better for the "go fast" stuff.

How much for the arms? Not too interested in the pucks, but thanks for the offer.

Back