• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tax return! blower, stroker, or charger?

coloradoinsane

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here goes. I have 4k to spend on the XJ this coming month. Engine mods are long overdue. I am looking to buy already made kits, not DIYS just for the sake of time. I want her going before spring. The engine only has 100k on it so I was leaning toward a sprintex supercharger kit from 505 for $3500. I've read good and bad about that kit (as for life and power increase). I do have an extra 4.0 core so I could always buy a new stroker and keep my current engine for, well, backup I guess lol. Or I could go with a turbo kit from 505 but I didn't like the idea of having that much more heat in the oil system/intake etc. All that's been done to my jeep so far engine wise is roller rockers, flashpaq, exhaust, and intake. Again, I want a complete plug and play system for 4k and under range. Thanks guys!

Golen engines, not Golden.

Sorry, didn't mean to put the d in there, typing on a tiny blackberry! I might be remembering reviews about the titan engines....but it looks that the golen only puts out 270hp at the crank? For 4000 for a stroker I would hope for 290-300.

Last edited:
You're not going to find much for 300hp in terms of "plug and play". I'd go to the junkyard, rip out a donor motor, take it so a machine shop or performance shop, and let them have their way with it. $4000 should get you a very decent stroker setup.

You're not going to find much for 300hp in terms of "plug and play". I'd go to the junkyard, rip out a donor motor, take it so a machine shop or performance shop, and let them have their way with it. $4000 should get you a very decent stroker setup.

If I was to go that route would it be worth buying a long block from 505 performance since they have so much experience? Just thinking out loud. Its hard to concider swapping my motor out being tat it has low mileage on it, that's why I had previously been leaning toward a supercharger. (Claims are 275 hp for the 3500)

Surely you jest. The 4.0 is probably the best engine ever offered in a 4WD.

I love the 4.0.

I'm running one in the XJbuggy i'm building.

But...I think most logically in terms of $4k and the words motor together.

For $4k you could have a very nice, reliable, ~325 to 350hp from stock...V8.

You can pick up LQ4's and LQ9's pretty cheaply with transmissions, harnesses, etc.

Or, you could do as Frank has...and go with the very respectable and very cheap and easy to find 5.3L.

Hell...there are companies who sell kits last I looked to bolt the 5.3 right into the engine bay.

A built 4.0 =/= stock 4.0 by any means in terms of reliability and longevity.

Pretty much anyone I've known who's had a stroked, blown, turbo'd, etc. 4.0L just ended up having more problems in the long run.

IMO not REMOTELY worth trying to get more out of the 4.0. The only way I see it remotely worth doing is if you stroke it and do pretty much EVERYTHING yourself to where it's pennies on the dollar of normal cost.

Once I've had the buggy running for a while...a LQ4 or LQ9/4L80E is soon to follow.

The 4.0 is an old school, underpowered motor considering it's size and weight :D

You must have one heck of a source for parts! There is no way I could get even close to the 4k mark doing a low mileage used engine swap into the xj. Heck a good radiator alone will run me 500, plus electric fans, wiring, pwr steering hoses, having to beef up the tranny or swap it out completely. Fabrication time on new mounts.... The list goes on lol. Last drivetrain swap I did it ran me closer to 10k to do it right (driveshafts, cooling, trans, engine, tcase etc...) That's why I'm looking toward the 4.0. The only reason I am looking for more power is for the interstate. I'd like to keep it at 75 without reving the poor thing to death. Not looking for a powerhouse.

I love the 4.0.

I'm running one in the XJbuggy i'm building.

But...I think most logically in terms of $4k and the words motor together.

For $4k you could have a very nice, reliable, ~325 to 350hp from stock...V8.

You can pick up LQ4's and LQ9's pretty cheaply with transmissions, harnesses, etc.

Or, you could do as Frank has...and go with the very respectable and very cheap and easy to find 5.3L.

Hell...there are companies who sell kits last I looked to bolt the 5.3 right into the engine bay.

A built 4.0 =/= stock 4.0 by any means in terms of reliability and longevity.

Pretty much anyone I've known who's had a stroked, blown, turbo'd, etc. 4.0L just ended up having more problems in the long run.

IMO not REMOTELY worth trying to get more out of the 4.0. The only way I see it remotely worth doing is if you stroke it and do pretty much EVERYTHING yourself to where it's pennies on the dollar of normal cost.

Once I've had the buggy running for a while...a LQ4 or LQ9/4L80E is soon to follow.

The 4.0 is an old school, underpowered motor considering it's size and weight :D

You must have one heck of a source for parts! There is no way I could get even close to the 4k mark doing a low mileage used engine swap into the xj. Heck a good radiator alone will run me 500, plus electric fans, wiring, pwr steering hoses, having to beef up the tranny or swap it out completely. Fabrication time on new mounts.... The list goes on lol. Last drivetrain swap I did it ran me closer to 10k to do it right (driveshafts, cooling, trans, engine, tcase etc...) That's why I'm looking toward the 4.0. The only reason I am looking for more power is for the interstate. I'd like to keep it at 75 without reving the poor thing to death. Not looking for a powerhouse.

Fair enough, seems you've done this before!

What are the spec's on your rig build wise?

I fully understand where you're coming from, since building the 4.0 would somewhat be a "plug n play".

As far as prices...I think your thinking a little high. Hell there is someone on Pirate selling a 2002 6.0 form an escalade with 92k on the clock with transmission, wiring, cable, pedals for $1600. $500 for a radiator seems a little steep. A GOOD quality Griffin should only run you a couple-a hundred, then throw a taurus fan on it from the junkyard and you should be good to go (provided your not planning on racing the thing or hopping up the V8). Yeah driveshafts wouldn't be the cheapest if you got good quality ones made, and I would want a non-stock t-case as well. Then you do have new exhaust to route...so yeah in the end it is a bit more of a headache...but its a headache so much more worth it in the end :D

For $4k and a little shopping around, I'm confident I could get a 6.0L swapped in with everything needed :D (though that would include a bit of work done by me like exhaust, wiring, etc.)

Back