• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking fuel tank

fishfighter

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday, I dropped mine and replaced the oring with an OME. Every thing was great after I filled it up last night. Well this morning, gas started leaking. I'm talking about a lot. I went and put new tires on and it stoped leaking. Once I got home, I got under and no signs of a leak.

What I am thinking is that the fuel flex line might be leaking the first thing in the morning when it is cold. Anybody have this problem before? Would regular fuel line with hose clamps work in it's place?

Thanks.

Well this morning, gas started leaking. I'm talking about a lot. I went and put new tires on and it stoped leaking. Once I got home, I got under and no signs of a leak.

So, the tires fixed it??

Would regular fuel line with hose clamps work in it's place?

No. At the VERY least use fuel injection hose with clamps.

Nice to know where it's leaking from. Leaking fuel = fire. Fire = BAD

Seriously, the little hose pieces line - filter - line are very prone to leaking if you've removed or messed with the line, tank, pump etc. Look underneath with the key on, engine off. After a minute or so of key off there's no more pressure in the line. So it will only show a leak with the key on.

Thanks, I will check into it when I start to feel a bit better. I really can't see were it is leaking on top. What I will do is loosing up the tank bracket bolts at the front and lower it down to were I can see what is what and go from there.

I really think it is the fuel line couple, but still not sure.

THIS SOB! Still trying to find the leak. This morning, with me under and I drop the tank a few inches with my son to turn on the key. Pump kicked off before starting like it should, no leak. Did that a couple times, no leak. Then started it with me under, still no leak. Did that a few times, no leak.

Then I said to myself, lets go top off the tank. Made it out the driveway and gas is puring out from the top? or ring? Still don't know. Alway, I dropped the tank. Went thru the checks and even shaking the tank, NO LEAK! WTF? So I taped up the fill and overfill hoses and fired it up again thinking maybe pressure build up in the tank might be the problem. Still no leak!

Now WTF? I'm at my ends on this. Anybody have an idea?

Next morning, tryed it and once I went for a drive, gas poured out again. It looks like it's coming from around the retainner ring. I order a new OME ring and will get it on next week. This is killing me.

Just an update. I changed the ring and reinstalled the tank for the 5th time. Filled it and no leak. I'm going to let it sit overnight and just hope and pray that I don't have to screw with it again.

This crap is killing me. That SOB is leaking again! Last thing to do is change out the fuel pump ass. SHIT!

Why in the world it doesn't leak all the time? Just the first thing in the morning.

On my (sons) 87 the weld/seal between the flange and the pressure and return fine gave up.It would only leak with a full tank. Had to replace the whole fuel pump assm,.May be your problem too.?

On my '93 XJ the braze at both In and Out tubes developed a hairline crack at the
mounting flange. The leak was very subtle and it took me some time to find it as
the fuel would evaporate before forming a puddle - but I could smell the fumes.
I found the leak by wrapping Kleenex tissue around the base of the tubes. The Kleenex
got soaked with fuel and stayed wet long enough for me to see it and pinpoint the source
of the leak.

I had to replace the whole assembly.

A couple of years later (after the warranty on the new part expired) the tiny rubber
O-ring that seals the pump/fuel gauge wire harness at the mounting flange leaked.
That part is pressed and crimped on at the factory and so I had to replace the whole
thing again (all for a piddly .02¢ O-ring).

Just lucky, I guess.

You might want to check the evap system for clogs or a kinked line.

1. ALWAYS start your posts with the year and any other information that may or might be pertinent to your question.

2. There are steel tanks, and there are plastic tanks. There are different EVAP systems. There are a number of different setups. Don't make people play "20 Questions".

OK people, got it fixed, I hope. Went out and bought a new complete pump ass. AS soon as I saw the new pump ass, I knew the problem of were the leak came from. There is a oring were the discharge part is that for some reason was gone on my old one.

As to why it only leaked the first thing in the morning, dam if I know.

This was a sure throw money away project to fix being I though the big tank oring was leaking and then I though the ring was not pulling down enough. An extra $40 and dropping the tank down 7 times along with fighting this for 9 days. At my age, this sucked the big one.

Back