• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap headliner repair

fishfighter

NAXJA Forum User
Today I had dropped my headliner as we all know that XJ's will have cloth in your face one day. After a search, I found the how to thread.

My XJ is a 99 and I have the speakers to the rear in the headliner, so it was a couple more steps, but no big deal.

Once removed, I pulled the cloth off. Then took a drill with a wheel brush to it to remove the foam. No pressure is needed.

Clean it off and painted it with a brush. The paint I used was a stain blocking primer that I had it tinted to the grey. Two coats was all that was needed.

WP_000184.jpg

From there I reinstalled it. Came out nice for under $10. Took less then a qt of paint.

WP_000189.jpg

Now I just need a good wash.

WP_000188.jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

This crossed my mind, though I was thinking about doing it with the plasti-dip type of stuff. Not sure what benefit it would have other than making it heavier, but for some reason I was thinking about it last night as my headliner was in my hair.

This crossed my mind, though I was thinking about doing it with the plasti-dip type of stuff. Not sure what benefit it would have other than making it heavier, but for some reason I was thinking about it last night as my headliner was in my hair.

Know that feeling. Do wear long sleve shirt. The liner is fiberglass. I used a drill and wheel brush to remove the foam. Not not put any pressure, or you will screw up the liner. The foam removes real easy.

I wonder if a garden hose and sun bake would work, avoid the fiberglass fibers, and fiberglass is water proof.

I used a stiff broom on mine to get the foam and glue off then a hand brush for the detail part. I then sprayed rattle can primer grey on and it looks great. This is another option for a cheap fix.

Did the headliner board change over the years? Mine ('88) was fairly loose fibery stuff through out, about as stiff as rigid cardboard, I think it only holds its shape because its arched into place.

Great idea, looks like I got some more work to do on it.

Jeff

Back