• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I hate rust.

Bosch.0

NAXJA Forum User
Put a new lift kit on today and I officially hate rust more than anything.

Snapped the bottom shock mount (rear passenger), twisted the head off the bolts on the bar pin (rear driver), had to cut the leaf, and leaf eye bolt on the passenger side because the sleeve was rusted on, driver side sway bar link snapped, exhaust u-bolt disintegrated while removing my hitch, etc etc.:bs:

Needless to say, simply putting the lift on turned into cutting, grinding, welding, tapping, cutting new threads, drilling. :bs:

I ended up calling it a day when the rear was buttoned up and I moved up front and the sway bar link broke. I'll post pics tomorrow when I finish.

welcome to owning an xj! atleast everything is going to be shiny new now....pb is your friend btw letting stuff soak and torch's are your best friends...just not together cuz pb is flammable haha

lol, sounds like my rig. I am at a point now where I simply plan on every bolt that I have not yet personally touched just breaking or being seized. In fact, now I look forward to breaking bolts so that I can mark another off the list. I am happy to deal with a broken bolt in the driveway instead of on the trail. Soon my entire rig will be all new hardware and antiseize. lol

anti seize is fantastic...after replacing 70% of my brothers floor in his xj i thought replacing all the suspension components will just snap right off......luckily everything leaked on his jeep so all the bolts were nicely lubricated....didnt even break one bolt almost shit myself...unlike my xj thats 5 years younger and half the mileage i broke every dam bolt.

These are your friends. Make yourself a pair for the rear shocks. I made these up because EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY REAR SHOCK BOLTS SNAPPED OFF. Instead of even trying to tap them out, i just make these up and welded them on.

Other than that, i put kroil on everything, and heat everything up. Once it's out, it gets covered in anti-seize.

If you haven't fixed the rear shock bolts, i'd recommend making these. They cost all of 5-10$ to make.

No problems since.

tCbSm5U.jpg

rhSwhId.jpg

Thanks! Yeah it's super clean for 190k miles, no body rust but all the parts underneath were rusty as hell, would've been better if I PB Blasted a few days in advance, just all the bolt heads snapped off or broke sockets so I cut half the stuff off.

As far as the rims I'll just give the full setup:
RE 3.5 Superflex with full leafs
RE 1660 Adjustable track bar (not on yet)
Bilstein 5100's
Procomp 7031 wheels 15"x8" - 3.75" backspacing
Hankook Dynapro MT 32/11.5/15

Back