• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01' cylinder head replacement

SChiaradonna

NAXJA Forum User
So turns out I'm going to need a new valves in my cherokee. Gonna get a remanufactured head from rockauto.com, Just wanted to know what else I am going to need to complete the job.

Head Gasket, new head bolts (NEVER reuse the original ones), PTFE thread sealant since there are a couple bolts that go into water jackets, intake/exhaust manifold gasket, thermostat housing gasket, valve cover gasket. And some patience, its really not that hard of a job.

And some patience, its really not that hard of a job.

Except for lifting the head off and on, get a friend or hoist to help.
It's heavy!

Im in the middle of this right now but I am replacing with 7120 head. Got the adapter plate from a member here and so far so good.

Have fun getting the lower manifold bolts!!! Luckily I think the gasket was done before so the came out pretty nice.

I'll probably finish it up tomorrow, all I need to do is change oil, fill coolant, re-tq head to 110ft-lb since my tq-wrench only went to 80. Hook up misc hoses and fire it up. Oh and new plugs and make the bracket for the coil packs.

Im in the middle of this right now but I am replacing with 7120 head. Got the adapter plate from a member here and so far so good.

Have fun getting the lower manifold bolts!!! Luckily I think the gasket was done before so the came out pretty nice.

I'll probably finish it up tomorrow, all I need to do is change oil, fill coolant, re-tq head to 110ft-lb since my tq-wrench only went to 80. Hook up misc hoses and fire it up. Oh and new plugs and make the bracket for the coil packs.

One of the bolts doesn't get torqued as high (or was that higher) than the rest....

Head Gasket, new head bolts (NEVER reuse the original ones), PTFE thread sealant since there are a couple bolts that go into water jackets, intake/exhaust manifold gasket, thermostat housing gasket, valve cover gasket. And some patience, its really not that hard of a job.

Great list on the parts but even the Jeep Factory Service Manual says the original head bolts can be reused once.

Except for lifting the head off and on, get a friend or hoist to help.
It's heavy!

I installed two rocker straps finger tight at the front and rear for a lift point. The head is something like 70 lbs so with a good grab point, you can handle it by yourself.

The best way to do it is to remove the exhaust manifold as well, install it on the head, then install the two as a unit. Much, much easier than trying to work between the wheel well and somewhere you can't see or really even touch.

Back