• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow Turn over No start?

BatmanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok
So I done an engine swap and the new engine is not turning over properly.
I have ruled out the Starter and Battery. I have Checked the grounds and the seem to be fine (not saying grounds are not the cause Im looking for more things that I could check. I hooked jumpers to the negative to one of the head bolts made no difference.

Starter-Tested I put on my spare known good starter
Battery- Tested I put in my spare known good battery
Grounds- Still looking into this. Not ruling this out.

Symptoms.
1. Turns over slow. Hit one time but didn't actually start
2. Negative Terminal get really hot. (makes me think ground?)

I am going to install new cables this weekend when I get a chance to work on it more.

Wanting more ideas of things that I should check?

Either a short or a problem in the motor itself?

"Negative Terminal get really hot. (makes me think ground?)"

That is not a ground issue, but a short issue or too hard to turn over motor overloading the starter.

That is not a ground issue, but a short issue or too hard to turn over motor overloading the starter.

not sure I agree with the determination that it's not a ground issue-- with resistance comes heat. A bad connection at the neg. terminal will cause high heat when under high amperage load.

I'd disconnect and CLEAN both positive and negative cables and terminal ends before I ruled out any bad grounds or connections. There are only a few locations that the start circuit could be grounding during "start" mode but not any other time. With a known good battery and a proven good starter, you've eliminated half of the probable locations for the short.

not sure I agree with the determination that it's not a ground issue-- with resistance comes heat. A bad connection at the neg. terminal will cause high heat when under high amperage load.

I'd disconnect and CLEAN both positive and negative cables and terminal ends before I ruled out any bad grounds or connections. There are only a few locations that the start circuit could be grounding during "start" mode but not any other time. With a known good battery and a proven good starter, you've eliminated half of the probable locations for the short.

Thanks. I am picking up new Positive and Negative cables today. I will install them and give it a go. A thought That I had that could be a possibility is that I somehow swapped the grounds for block and Alternator. I figure this is a possibility since the ground would be smaller could be causing the issue. I will update later with more information.

I got her going today finally. I believe the issue was dry cylinders. I put a little A/T fluid in all of them and let them sit for a while. Then I bumped it a few times. And that issue was solved.

Back