• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a Banks header from a TJ fit my 96 XJ

lqguitarguy

NAXJA Forum User
My father in law had an 02 wrangler with a banks power header. The banks power header has a small crack that I am getting TIG welded this week. He gave it to me because he got rid of his wrangler around 5 years ago and the header has just been sitting in his garage. I have a 96 xj 4.0 and I just want to know before I dive in to taking off the existing header that it will fit before getting into all this. I feel I should say that I have a magnaflow muffler currently on my jeep. I acquired a magnaflow CAT and now this header and I just want a bad ass sound as I growl through the hills. Also I am hoping to get maybe a 1mpg increase in gas mileage. This xj is my daily driver and I am getting about 11-12 mpg around town.

:read:

okay so no response over night thats okay. I am not starting this project until the weekend. What I really need to know is: What is the difference in header from 91-99 n the 00-01. I do read there are some intake manifold changes after 99. Banks official website shows for a 4.0L 6-CYL: 1991-99 WRANGLER, 1996-98 CHEROKEE, '91-92 COMANCHE you need a "revolver" style banks header. For a 4.0L 6-CYL: 2000-06 WRANGLER, 2000-01 CHEROKEE, 1999-01 GRAND CHEROKEE you need a banks "torque tube setup" I have a torque tube that I inherited and welded. Will this header fit a 96 4.0? Or am I just gonna have to dive in on this and let everyone know how it turns out?

Last edited:
Just so that there is no guessing on the type of xj I am putting this into. I have a 96 xj 4.0, 4.11 gears, 4.5" RE short arm kit, Bilsteins all the way around, magnaflow muffler, soon to be magnaflow cat, knn intake, custom bumpers, cut fenders, 33 bfg AT's,my jeep is my DD and a minor trail rig. No heavy rock crawling.

The heads are different on the newer engines. The 2000 and up have smaller exhaust ports, so the old style header may not match up. I would talk to Banks.

The stock cylinder head is cast iron and weighs 60lb. The valve head diameter is 1.91" intake/1.50" exhaust. Casting numbers are as follows:

Year............Casting No
1987-90......2686
1991-95......7120
1996-99......0630
2000-06......0331

The early '87-'90 non-HO heads have low intake ports that flow rather poorly. The later HO heads have higher intake ports that flow more air by allowing a straighter shot into the cylinders. The '91-'95 HO heads with casting no. 7120 have the highest intake and exhaust port airflows, especially at lower valve lifts where it is most important, and are the best for performance. The '96-'98 0630 heads are almost identical except that they don't have a port for the coolant temp. gauge sending unit. The '00 and later heads with casting no. 0331 have smaller exhaust ports to produce a faster warm-up of the catalytic converter and improve emissions, but performance also suffers because the ports don't flow as well as those of the 7120 and 0630 castings.

Back