• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

outboard/extended trackbar mount

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a manufacturer making this? I need to extend my trackbar 4-5" toward the wheel (other side of framerail) so that it is outboard as possible since I cannot extend the length on the axle end. Also, lowering it a couple inches wouldn't hurt either. i saw JCR made one for HaleYes but that was a custom job. Since they don't really do installs/custom stuff anymore, I doubt they would custom fab one up.

TIA

i havent seen a bolt on one but there are several weld on brackets out there. i made mine and it welds on.

Thanks guys, I have seen the ruff stuff one. Never seen the ballistic or genright but they look all similar.

These are somewhat what I am looking for but I need them to allow the trackbar to be even more outwordly mounted. Instead of coming straight down, making a 90 degree angle between the bracket and framerail, it needs to be angled outward (towards tire) 60 degrees or so allowing longer length since I need about a 4.5-5" gain.

I could probably use one of these bracket and recut the moutning surface and gusset it somehow so I get the angle.

wouldn't that get into the area needed by the tire?

To me, it sounds easier to just shorten your TB to fit any mount.

easier? yes
right? no

for the most part, the longer the better (close too or matching drag link ideally), and if he can gain an inch or 2 frame side, why wouldn't he?

easier? yes
right? no

for the most part, the longer the better (close too or matching drag link ideally), and if he can gain an inch or 2 frame side, why wouldn't he?

exactly. I don't need a huge amount...like an inch or two max past the framerail. shouldn't interfere with tire

The RuffStuff one is angled outboard... not sure how much, but if it's not enough you could then recut like you say.

I recently made my own, turned out ugly as HELL :looser:

I should have bought the ruffstuff one and cut it to my application.

But, I found that with a basically stock width front axle on springs I could only lengthen my trackbar ~2" over what my RE mount allowed, and it still makes slight contact with my spring when I stuff the driver's tire. Unless you are running coil-overs I think you'll have to watch the spring, not the tire. Granted my axle is pushed forward a couple inches, but my spring is moved back over the axle, so I still think if you're running springs up front you'll have interference issues trying to get the mount that far outside of the frame...

Then again, I have high-steer arms and had to watch the tie-rod for clearance there as well, if you can slide the mount forward of the spring and not have it interfere with your steering you should be golden.

Here's what I'm talking about, towards the bottom of the page, you can see the bolt in the frame-side mount is pretty much even with the outside frame wall:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1093360&page=2

Morgan,
You've probably thought this through already, but make sure to cycle the front suspension with and without the coils in place, before you make your new TB mount permanent.
I mention this because I recently witnessed an XJ with an extended TB mount similar to what you are after that only had 1/8" clearance from the coil at static.

Here's one I made for our rig. We don't have these jigged up but could certainly cut you the parts if you have access to a welder. It pushes the entire bracket forward so you can clear the axle. It does require ditching the factory SB however.

2012-12-02151101.jpg

2012-12-02150919.jpg

2012-12-02151134.jpg

Last edited:
It's pretty simple to make what you want. Do tabs like the one above, or use a section of 3x3" 3/16 wall boxed tubing, which is the standard 2 5/8" ID mounting width. That's how I made mine.

standard.jpg

Richard G

Morgan,
You've probably thought this through already, but make sure to cycle the front suspension with and without the coils in place, before you make your new TB mount permanent.
I mention this because I recently witnessed an XJ with an extended TB mount similar to what you are after that only had 1/8" clearance from the coil at static.

thanks for the tip, I will be sure to do so

Here's one I made for our rig. We don't have these jigged up but could certainly cut you the parts if you have access to a welder. It pushes the entire bracket forward so you can clear the axle. It does require ditching the factory SB however.

2012-12-02151101.jpg

2012-12-02150919.jpg

2012-12-02151134.jpg

thread revival - boostwerks how long is your trackbar? I am looking for an outboard frame side trackbar mount for the WJ crossover steering to minimize potential bumpsteer. Love your mount. are you making any plans to start selling those?

I am also going to cut in on this thread,.... Are the drag link and tie rod bolted to the knuckle or am I seeing a special fitting on the knuckle and the rag link bolted to it? It remind me of something I saw on some late model modified Wrangler last month in Daytona Beach.

Anyone know of a manufacturer making this? I need to extend my trackbar 4-5" toward the wheel (other side of framerail) so that it is outboard as possible since I cannot extend the length on the axle end. Also, lowering it a couple inches wouldn't hurt either. i saw JCR made one for HaleYes but that was a custom job. Since they don't really do installs/custom stuff anymore, I doubt they would custom fab one up.

TIA

Why not?

Blaine Johnson can be credited for this design, as found on the Team NAXJA KOH rig.

This Blaine's design is just great...i have been planning the wj knuckles swap for months and just need to verify my clayton's long arms still have thread enough to adjust for the required wheelbase lenght increase

Why not?

Blaine Johnson can be credited for this design, as found on the Team NAXJA KOH rig.

That's probably the best solution, and if I had my own welder and the necessary skills, one I would attempt. However, you have to move the coil buckets back, push the axle forward and inch or two (not a huge deal), and then you can start working on the mounts. Might be a little more than some want to undertake. For someone like me, who has to pay a competent welder, something like that means just too much down time. And I think extended the frame side TB is probably easier. I don't want to drop it any, its better to raise the axle side mount, which I will do when I go OTA. But I did consider that mount seriously, don't know if the OP did or not.

I was able to get in touch with Bryson (Boostwerks). He is sending me the pieces for this TB mount, which I'll have a buddy or a shop weld up. its pretty much perfect for what I need, maybe the OP could make use of it too. $50 for 3/16" version, or $65 for 1/4". I went with 3/16", and will box in the tabs for the bar, and hopefully incorporate a mountfor my RE trackbar brace once I get it. we'll see.

Thanks boostwerks.

Back