• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help identifying some axle shafts please

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 and I just broke the driver inner on my D30. A buddy with a 86 gave me this spare set said they did not work in his. It looks to me like the driver is the same just with shorter wheel studs, but what year had the passenger CV 2 part inner? Will it work on my 01? If not will the hub and outer work if I just get an inner for an 01? I thought Only YJs has this style shaft. Thanks

14982_10200510071984608_1352873660_n.jpg

the shorter driver side will work, but it has a smaller 260x ujoint. The unit bearing hub will not work as the spacing is different.
The passenger side shaft is a 2pc CAD shaft, as found on many pre-89 XJ's and YJ's. The outer stub would work as a spare for the driver side.

No need to remove the ABS ring on your old shaft, but if the stub is still good it'll make a good spare for your current passenger side, as will the bearing hub.

all that being said I would only trust the older shaft as the emergency got me home shaft, you can see what you did to your stock u-joint, now just imagine it was smaller.

Your 01 has different front brakes than previous years. The hat on the rotor is thick which explains why your wheel studs are longer. You will need to re-use your wheel bearing from your broke axle shaft. The axle shaft at the top of the photo appears to be a two piece PASSENGER side from a vacuum disconnect axle. This will not work for your driver side axle shaft. The middle shaft in the photo looks to be the right axle shaft. If you want your ABS to remain functioning then you will need to transfer the tone ring to the new shaft. If not then you can probably get away without it but I am not too experienced with XJ ABS so don't quote me on that one.

Also Can I just remove that ring on my current hub which I am guessing is something to do with the long removed ABS?

his ABS is not an issue ... just to clarify ... by shorter drivers side shaft I was meaning the shaft assembly right above your broken shaft (in the picture above).
that shaft, and both outer stubshafts are all that can be used from the 86 assemblies.
Those and your original unit bearing hub and the stubshaft are all you can use from your original. The 86 axle and stubshafts will only work together due tothe smaller ujoint size.

Thanks for the replies, also I should clarify what I am doing. The ABS is long gone. I am on a borrowed driver unit/shaft now. My goal is to replace the inner shaft on my hub and build a set of spares. So If I go to junk yard and pull a driver shaft to replace my broke one, THEN pull a passenger inner will these work as trail spares just to get home? thanks again

yeah, the driverside will work as trail spares just fine, just remember it does have a smaller u-joint once they go in. Ideally you'd be better off getting a complete set of junkyard spares from something a bit newer with the 297x ujoints (same size as your 01's). Can't remember the changeover date but I believe it was mid 90's, '96 springs to mind but apparentlythe larger joint was used with ABS earlier. Any XJ with Limited trim with have the one piece (non-CAD) passenger side as well ... for example my '89 front HPD30 axle came with 1 pc shafts but used the smaller 260 joint.
That two piece passenger shaft is completely useless to you though.

Last edited:
Back