• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Stretch and Full Width D44...steering problem

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3/4 ton dana 44 going into my XJ and am using 1 ton ends and a Waggy full size pitman arm for the longer throw. It is stretched forward and my pitman arm has ended up over the tie rod and will drastically limit the uptravel and the tie rod and drag will cross and make contact at stuff. It is set up over the knuckle. What options should I be looking at to fix this problem. Do I need to do the astro box swap, put the tie rod back under the knuckle. Use a high steer arm for the drag link, or what???? The easier solution the better as I only have a couple days to come up with a solution before Winterfest. HELP!

have you actually checked to see if it will hit once your bumpstops are set? What size tires are you running? any special body mods to allow more uptravel?

The only reason I ask is because my tie rod end at the pitman arm was directly over my tie rod with a DROP waggy pitman arm, otk, and a 44 running 35s to 38's at and it in no way limited my uptravel, the 35s were even bumpstopped to the point where they would graze my inner fenders.

have you actually checked to see if it will hit once your bumpstops are set? What size tires are you running? any special body mods to allow more uptravel?

The only reason I ask is because my tie rod end at the pitman arm was directly over my tie rod with a DROP waggy pitman arm, otk, and a 44 running 35s to 38's at and it in no way limited my uptravel, the 35s were even bumpstopped to the point where they would graze my inner fenders.

Not yet... I have to get drive shafts in so I can flex test it. I am running 37s and am cut, hammered, and banged for fender clearance. It just looks scary at this point. I guess I will calm down and actually test it at stuff to see what I am dealing with.

You aren't running a stock waggy arm are you? That should be even much further away than a drop arm. And I would imagine it would result in some pretty steep steering angles. I ran the drop pitman from bjs offroad and it was about the same drop as a stock xj arm.

Last edited:
You aren't running a stock waggy arm are you? That should be even much further away than a drop arm. And I would imagine it would result in some pretty steep steering angles. I ran the drop pitman from bjs offroad and it was about the same drop as a stock xj arm.

Sorry I was not clear. It is the waggy dropped pitman arm.

How much of a front stretch are you going with?

I ran ~3? of stretch and had no issues, but each setup is slightly different.
00315.jpg

Isn't the waggy arm longer than the XJ arm? This has two negatives. The longer pitman arm is limiting your turning radius, so you won't turn as tight, and it's putting the pitman arm closer to the tie rod at full stuff.

As far as clearance of the pitman arm joint to the tie rod at full stuff, you just have to position everything to make it fit. This is why the standard method of building suspensions and steering is to remove the springs and set the chassis on the bump stops and build it so everything you do clears.

Isn't the waggy arm longer than the XJ arm? This has two negatives. The longer pitman arm is limiting your turning radius, so you won't turn as tight, and it's putting the pitman arm closer to the tie rod at full stuff.

As far as clearance of the pitman arm joint to the tie rod at full stuff, you just have to position everything to make it fit. This is why the standard method of building suspensions and steering is to remove the springs and set the chassis on the bump stops and build it so everything you do clears.

It is longer. And the longer pitman arm doesn't limit your turning radius, it helps it. You need a longer pitman arm to match the throw of the dana 44 knuckles to get all your turning radius back.

OK, so now and then I think backwards. :doh:

:)

Richard G

Back