• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Cherokee Hard Start

SChiaradonna

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys just recently purchased a 2001 cherokee sport. Not new to the jeep world by any means but I got my hands full with this problem and its starting to drive me nuts! Any way the jeeps giving me a problem starting. Goes through about 4 cycles before it finally turns over and after sitting off for 3-5 minutes has the same problem. At first thought it was the fuel pump because it wasn't holding pressure so replaced the whole assembly, then from there replaced the cam and crank sensor because they seemed to be common problems. (Crank sensor is a pain by the way ahaha) After that didn't do the trick I decided to finally run a computer on it and saw I had a cylinder 2 misfire so I changed the plugs and ran a leak down test and sure enough it was leaking down in the injectors, so I replaced the injector on cylinder 2. Now I am stuck because it is still giving me this problem and I feel just helpless and don't wanna just keep throwing money at. Hoping for some helpful answers. Thanks. Sal.

Hows the battery doing under load? Guessing if its consistently starting its not the starter. I would try the SeaFoam in the TB thing too. Seems to help a lot of people with the hard start issues. After that the only thing I can think of is bad injectors.

Here's the forum link from JeepForums http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/sea-foam-99405/

Search for Cherokee XJ seafoam in youtube and it'll bring up a few videos too. When you cleaned out the TB did you remove or avoid the TPS? It just takes a little water to screw that thing up. If you arent running codes its probably still good. If its still running misfire codes you might need to replace it. If you do get a MOPAR part from the dealership or online. Dont replace the sensor with one from NAPA, Autozone etc.

Check your ground cables too. Clean them off and inspect them to see if they need to be replaced.

Search is your friend here! Sounds to me like you've replaced a lot of parts unnecessarily, as the problem is probably the fuel pressure. Not sure on the 2001's, but all have a valve or such that holds pressure in the rail between starts. If you try the poor man's prime (turn key to run, then off, then run, then off several times) and it starts faster, fuel pressure is your problem. The poor mans prime procedure pressurizes the rail so it's at full pressure when you turn the key to crank it.

The '01 will have the regulator as part of the fuel pump assembly ... they don't have a return line. He replaced the Pump assembly already so that one is covered.

Back