• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help diagnose steering problem after Durango swap..

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
This past week I did the Durango steering box swap. The old one had serious leaking problems and clunking noises as I turned. It had a little play in the wheel but nothing unbearable. As far as the swap goes it was pretty much straight forward. The only thing added the JCR inner brace, everything else stayed the same. After the swap the play in the wheel got worse. Also the wheel is now crooked toward the left. But that can be adjusted with the drag link. What should I look into for the play in the wheel?

tre's could do this, Best way to figure this out is to put someone in the jeep and steer it back n forth on pavement.

With the box on the bench and a pitman arm on it, how much play did it have when the wheel was centered? Was this a used box? How are all your joints?

We can all guess, but an inspection is the only way to find your problem. You may have installed a bad steering box.

Richard G

Back