• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat belts

it's not likely you can do it properly and safely.
the unibody in that spot in the older vehicle was not designed with that in mind so the strength probably isnt there. it's not as simple as drilling a hole and figuring out how to get a nut inside there backed by a washer.
a collision or roll-over is the wrong place to find out that your engineering wasnt up to par.
how about a set of harnesses mounted to a plate on the floor?

I fit late model xj seats, and late model xj seat belts in my '90 4door xj. The belt mounting locations are differant, when bolted up, the point where they latch together is lower than stock, which can make putting them on can be slightly annoying. I'd say the bigger you are the bigger of a problem this would be.

I prefered the newer style belts, but the older style latches are built better IMHO.

Is it possible to install the later model rear seatbelts in an early model XJ? Mine just has the lap belts. Any ideas welcome.

What year is your XJ? I had an '85 and it had the three point. Was lap belt only an option early in the life of the XJ?

Mines an 89 limited maybe I'll pull the trim out and see if its possible. Don't use the treat seat a whole lot but was wondering if it were doable.

Back