• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Explorer disc brake swap

Chip Clip

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Does anyone have any pics of the backing plates with the holes elongated? I am going to do this swap, but it looks like if I open up the holes they will be close to grinding through to the large middle hole.

The center hole needs to be opened a tiny bit but its minimal. The bolt pattern to the axle is the same as the XJ.

The center hole needs to be opened a tiny bit but its minimal. The bolt pattern to the axle is the same as the XJ.

FALSE.
-The center hole in the backing plate/caliper bracket is plenty big. If you're referring the center hole in the rotors, just use ZJ rotors instead of Explorer. They're a better fit anyway.

-The axle bolt pattern is 5"x4.5" Same exact as the XJ.

-The hole elongating is a little more than "a tiny bit". They do need to be lengthened sideways a decent bit. I always see people saying a minimal amount, but you definitely need a high speed tool and a sharp carbide bit. You can't use a file, or something like that.

OK guys, I think some of you are getting the crown vic brakes confused with the explorer. I have explorer and the holes are quite a bit off. From what I here the crown vic brakes almost bolt right up, but this does me no good.

So if anyone has pics of their Explorer backing plates opened up that would help a ton.

It's minimal, something like 1/8" and if I remember right, it's to the sides. Get the teraflex spacers, a second set of retaining plates, and the EXPLORER brackets. Lay the retainer over it, you'll see which way you have to go. Mark it and with a HS carbide grinding bit, elongate them as needed. You have to move the holes towards the center about 1/8", plenty of material to do this. Elongate all 4 holes, not just 2 holes. The center hole does not need to be drilled. You should remove the rivet that holds the dust shield. Oh, you should run ZJ rear rotors on this setup, while explorer ones will work, the depth is more favorable on the ZJ ones. Somewhere someone did a post on this, including pictures. Ah, here it is. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967146

Backing plate. This got chewed up prett good cuz the carbide bit kept grabbing the metal.
photo_zpsea0db482.jpg

Bracket. While the distance the holes need to be elongated is 'minimal', the material is thick. And steel. Hence why I said a file won't work well. Unless you're like Xjensen and enjoy building up your callouses. Even with my die grinder and bit, it still took probably a good half hour per plate. They are elongated towards the inside, as previously mentioned. Not rocket science.
photo_zps7ec199e1.jpg

You guys gotta stop using those harbor freight bits. :) Looks good. Mine's been on the rig since I did the article without issues.

Back