• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 range hub upgrade

metalman

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a question about upgrading the range hub and sleeve of the np231 in my XJ. I've already got a wide chain and 6 pinion planetary, its going behind a turbo stroker, nothing too crazy, and swapping the Tcase isn't an option, so I'm looking to make the 231 as strong as possible, the 231 has to stay though.

having said that, I've run across only 1 article here
http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/5449/
which mentions the dodge 231 cases have a bigger range hub inside them. I can't find this information anywhere else though. It makes sense, since the dodges used 6 pinion planetary and wider chains, just wanting to find out if anyone has done this or has any other information. I get nothing on Google and all that comes up in the searches in all the forums i've tried is general "its making noises" or "swap it for something better". Also if someone has any info about which 231d cases would have the larger hub assuming it does fit, that would also help a lot.

Thanks for any replies

Which dodges?

I chose a few random years to check...

94-96 XJ 231 part:
5300 6089, 4796 906, or 4797 013 depending on exact transfer case build specifics (there are 24 different NP231 full assembly part numbers for 94-96 YJ/XJ/ZJ... why? blame chrysler)

It looks like 4796 906 is used with older (95-) style transfer cases and 4797 013 is used with later (96+) ones, which meshes well with my Dakota info as AFAIK all Dakotas use the older design with the rear output seal riding on the slip yoke. Every one I have torn parts out of at the junkyard has, anyways.

I don't know when the 5300 6089 part was installed, I can dig that info up if people need it but it will involve a lot of looking at NP231 build sheets and that's something that I don't really find entertaining, so I'll not bother unless it's needed.

97 AN (dakota standard cab, iirc) 231 part:
4796 906

So basically Dakota range hubs are the same as one of the hubs used in XJs/YJs/ZJs. I checked 97 XJs too and they use the same part in 4cyl TD drivetrains, but the last one I listed (4797 013) for all other drivetrains. The Dakotas use the 4796 906 part for both 3.9L V6 (almost exactly the same power/torque as a 4.0) and 5.2L V8 drivetrains in both auto and manual, so clearly it will stand up to the task no problem if no one is reporting breaking one.

I've found a little more info, if you dig around the dodge stuff, it will list it as "5 1/2 spread fork", meaning it is the larger version, but I haven't found what the smaller sized part numbers are to compare.

That can't possibly have anything to do with the range hub, the range hub is maybe 2-3" diameter, I had one in my hand yesterday while trying to patch my NP231 back together after a lube-free incident I had. The mode fork (selects 2x4 or 4x4) is around that big however, maybe the upgrade is actually a thicker mode select collar.

Back