• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ready to build my xj

Muffler up

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 96' jeep Cherokee 4dr, 4.0l, AW4, Dana 30 front, Chrysler 8.25, 3.55 gears, np231j that I'm ready to build. Trying to decide between 33's or 35's. I've done my homework and know what I need to do these but thought I might get some tips from guys that know what their talking about and try to save some money, time, and downtime. Anybody wanna help me out?

yes, i have the same junk, what do you want to do with it?

Most of the kits I'm looking at are all rusty kits including the lift. Thinking 4.5 or 6.5 long arm, bushwacker flares, flow master cat and cat back kit, 4.56 gears, larger throttle body and spacer kit, SYE kit with drivelines

I'd spend a little more dough for a better kit than rustys

I've got a 96' jeep Cherokee 4dr, 4.0l, AW4, Dana 30 front, Chrysler 8.25, 3.55 gears, np231j that I'm ready to build. Trying to decide between 33's or 35's. I've done my homework and know what I need to do these but thought I might get some tips from guys that know what their talking about and try to save some money, time, and downtime. Anybody wanna help me out?

Honestly! If it's a DD then just put a kit on it. If not buy a welder1st! Even for some after market kits it is a good Idea to reinforce welds and brackets. There's nothing worse than having a bracket or component that looked or felt flimsy to you break on the trail! Most kits are built to street specs and weight in mind! I don't know if Webdog or Serious build their own kits but if they do, I'm sure it up to the test! If they don't I'm sure you can get it stepped up (reinforced) by them for a small fee! They've been out there with many and see's where kits fail. I know many will tell you oh you'll be ok just slap a kit on, but if and when you get serious and I mean serious then you'll be glad that you took the time to reinforce it at home rather then mend it on the trail!!

bushwacker flares, flow master cat and cat back kit, larger throttle body and spacer kit
alot of wasted money there, get a off the shelf 4.5" kit from one of out vendors(except rustys) and run 33's, 35's bring a whole new can of worms

33's on stock axles(especially the dana30) are ALOT more reliable and cheaper. With that said you should have the need for a lift over 5 inches max, so get yourself a 4.5 inch lift from anyone BUT Rusty's

Back