• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken Rock Sliders

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
I've got new 2x4 Tomken Rock Sliders to install on my '89 XJ this weekend. Their directions are a little sketchy, specifically which front mount goes on which side, and if the sliders are side-specific. I searched for anybody's experience and found nothing.

I'll document my install, but if anyone has done this (and I know some of you out there have), I'd love some pointers, tips, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Why not contact the manufacturer? It seems like that would be your best source of info specifically related to your install.

As a follow-up. Got them installed. After carefully examining the installation instructions, I noticed the drawing seemed to show the subtle difference between the right and left front brackets. Also, when test fitting, if the incorrect bracket were used it would line up with a gap in the pinch seam, so it became obvious.

Install was really easy...not complicated...so no need for write-up or pics. Love how these sliders look on the old waggy!

I've got the Tomken Sliders as well but haven't installed them yet. The directions are pretty VAGUE at best. I'll be installing them this weekend hopefully.

Do your self a favor and sell them to someone else. Get real sliders. They are cheap for a reason. I dont mean to bash tomken but these are not a sturdy product. I have them and they did not save my rockers from being smashed. They just bent up into the rocker

Last edited:
funny how things change. they used to be considered one of the better sliders, and they haven't changed at all..

Do your self a favor and sell them to someone else. Get real sliders. They are cheap for a reason. I dont mean to bash tomken but these are not a sturdy product. I have them and they did not save my rockers from being smashed. They just bent up into the rocker

Well that's discouraging. I wonder if there is anyway to beef them up. I like the simplistic look of them and their ability to stick out a little for somewhat of a step.

I did too. They are just not strong. Both sides of mine are totally frowned and have bent and crushed up into my rockers the full length of the rocker.
feae2eb263ad4f855c4e96574735a569.jpg

Passenger is actually worse and more frowny.

Please keep in mind. I have only owned them for two seasons. First season they were bolton. Second inwelded them in place. They still bent more. And actually now causing some body flex and pushing my b pillar up on both sides. Im doing boatsides this year hopefully. I have the steel just need the time.

There is just not enough support off the frame and pinch seam. And the tubing wall is to thin.

Last edited:
Im my opinion. Any bolt on slider that has less than three legs per side is asking for trouble. The more tie-ins the better. A full length pinch seam tie-in is a must but it can only support so much impact. the stand offs are where the real strength is.

With that said there is no better protection than a weld on rocker replacement. But even at that, with no support, will fail and rip as well.

Or go straight rocker replacement. I spent 50$ on steel. and gained nearly 4" of clearance by goin up to the door sill.

Im my opinion. Any bolt on slider that has less than three legs per side is asking for trouble. The more tie-ins the better. A full length pinch seam tie-in is a must but it can only support so much impact. the stand offs are where the real strength is.

With that said there is no better protection than a weld on rocker replacement. But even at that, with no support, will fail and rip as well.

I bolded the important part. The supports make the rocker live. Weld on below the frame with 3 or 4 legs, or rocker replacement with 3 or 4 welded supports.

I think Gordo said it best, sell them and buy/make better ones.

Nates4x4 has a 15% sale going on right meow.

http://www.nates4x4.com/Jeep_Cherokee_Rocker_Guards_p/xj_guards.htm Before disc. 295 w/Free ship. Or -75$ if you don't want the tube.

Those look really nice and I'm digging the pinch seam mounts, but there are only 2 frame mounts like the Tomken sliders. Are you currently running these Johnnie Walker? How thick are the walls on these?

The "frowning" is concerning, but what if additional frame mounts were added? Like maybe 2 more WITH 2 more pinch seam mounts as well? I wonder if the cost in steel needed would be close to the return shipping price I'd have to pay?

No, I do not run those nates sliders. I saw them when I was looking for some for my mj.
I have custom 2x4 sliders that Tim ( knucklehead 61 ) made that used to be on his red jeep.

Ya I have 2 frame supports and my A pillar from the cage and an additional bar around the fender to the front bumper.
Any bolt on won't withstand much abuse... As Gordo said man

Ya I have 2 frame supports and my A pillar from the cage and an additional bar around the fender to the front bumper.
Any bolt on won't withstand much abuse... As Gordo said man

Alright... this co-sign has me convinced... a bit disappointed that Tomken didn't do this one right. I'll contact them and see about returning.

Which sliders have a similar look but have beefier mounting/thicker walls than Tomken for around the same price?

If you're handy with a welder, or have a buddy who is, you could just add to what you've already got. Its the "leg" features that are lacking. A good frame re-enforcement kit is a good idea too - so you can weld it all solid.

There are plenty of write ups on here, of how that install goes, and plenty of vendors who sell them. BrianHo13 is a supporting vendor here, and makes some of the better ones. (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1101308).

The guys at Vegas 4x4 (http://www.vegas4x4.com/) certainly should be able to add another leg or two, and install the stiffeners if you're willing to pay for it. I've wheeled with Larry and Wendy a handful of times, and they know their stuff.

Shipping them back will cost you a shiny penny. Might consider this.

If you're handy with a welder, or have a buddy who is, you could just add to what you've already got. Its the "leg" features that are lacking. A good frame re-enforcement kit is a good idea too - so you can weld it all solid.

There are plenty of write ups on here, of how that install goes, and plenty of vendors who sell them. BrianHo13 is a supporting vendor here, and makes some of the better ones. (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1101308).

The guys at Vegas 4x4 (http://www.vegas4x4.com/) certainly should be able to add another leg or two, and install the stiffeners if you're willing to pay for it. I've wheeled with Larry and Wendy a handful of times, and they know their stuff.

Shipping them back will cost you a shiny penny. Might consider this.

I've thought about beefing them up by welding a full 3/16-1/4" plate on the bottom, adding 3 frame supports with 3 more pinch seam mounts. However, how much $$$ would all that extra steel/man hours equate to? Would it be worth it to buy a set up that doesn't need all that extra fab work?

I've thought about beefing them up by welding a full 3/16-1/4" plate on the bottom, adding 3 frame supports with 3 more pinch seam mounts. However, how much $$$ would all that extra steel/man hours equate to? Would it be worth it to buy a set up that doesn't need all that extra fab work?

Time or money - which do you have more of?

Either way, welding the stiffeners on, and welding whichever rocker protection product you decide to run is my recommendation.

Up to you. :wave:

Back