• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching our fuel assembly

wkandxj

NAXJA Forum User
After searching around I think the problem with my 99 Sport is the fuel regulator check valve. No matter how long i crank it always starts immediately on the second crank. Could be a leaking injector I suppose, but we'll try this first.

It sounds like I can't just change out the valve, but what the heck, it's a 14 year old Jeep, I'm sure the entire assembly could use some love.

What's a good one that will incorporate this check valve? I've found some assemblies, they seem easy enough to install (just a little time consuming with the tank drop), but I want to make sure I get the right one.

Anyone with any suggestions on this? Would O'reillys or Autozone have anything worth while or should I just stick to the good ol' interwebs?

Avoid the airtex fuel pump modules at all cost, get a carter or a bosch. As for swapping it out make sure you run the tank down as low as you feel comfortable going, because trying to drop a full tank isnt fun. Also to loosen the retaining ring, just use a large flat head screw drive and tap on the lugs to loosen it. I've had to do this job twice on my 99, and I can do it in about 45 minutes by myself in the driveway with basic handtools and a jack.

As the haynes manual says "installation is the reverse of removal"

Agree with above advice.

Replace the entire "assembly", which consists of regulator/filter/fuel pump. Actually there are 2 check valves, one one the regulator and one on the fuel pump.

My favorite brand hands down for fuel pumps for the XJ is Bosch. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for with this component. Search the web and also ebay often carries this assembly, which will cost you in the neighborhood of $300. Don't be fooled by pictures showing the entire assembly at a cost of $120; you will almost assuredly get only the fuel pump with those (not the entire assembly). Carter is an okay brand. I will not install nor will I recommend an Airtex fuel pump.

Back