• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 & Up XJ Questions About Conversion

kelso1

NAXJA Forum User
I am just getting my profile set up so please be patient. My plan is to take the drive train from my 92 sport 4WD and install it into a 98 SE 2WD. I have a professional shop with hoist and all needed tools so I don't care about the labor side. My questions regard wiring, ecu, and other hidden snags. Any info on these late generation systems?

5spd or auto?

I am just getting my profile set up so please be patient. My plan is to take the drive train from my 92 sport 4WD and install it into a 98 SE 2WD. I have a professional shop with hoist and all needed tools so I don't care about the labor side. My questions regard wiring, ecu, and other hidden snags. Any info on these late generation systems?
Does Missouri have smog inspections,. Will the emissions system need to be operational at 1998 standards?
I have no idea what your smog laws are or if your XJ will be a DD or trail-only rig.

The 92 Sport is a manual. The 98 SE is automatic. Missouri only needs to have a cat, but no sniffers are used so i could be hollow if I relocated the O2.

The 92 Sport is a manual. The 98 SE is automatic. Missouri only needs to have a cat, but no sniffers are used so i could be hollow if I relocated the O2.

FYI -it is against NAXJA rules to advocate the removal or making ineffective any Federally mandated emissions equipment on street legal vehicles.
We all are air breathing creatures.

If Missouri does not 'sniff', does it check the ODB-II port for codes? What exactly do they do. other than a visual inspection?

Nothing. If there is a cat installed, O2 sensors installed, no leaks, and proper hangers, it passes. Back to the post though, what wiring issues would I run into?
I don't want to scrap the orig. gauge cluster, but If it cannot be done for a reasonable cost it will become a 92 ECU and harness.

Nothing. If there is a cat installed, O2 sensors installed, no leaks, and proper hangers, it passes. Back to the post though, what wiring issues would I run into?
I don't want to scrap the orig. gauge cluster, but If it cannot be done for a reasonable cost it will become a 92 ECU and harness.

The 98 is ODB-II and uses a bus to communicate between the sensors, ECM and gauges. The gauges are driven by the computer. The 92 computer is not compatible with the 98 cluster and will not drive the cluster. Transplanting the instrument cluster or replacing all the gauges with electrical or mechanical ones may be needed.

The simplest and least aggravating method for you to convert to 4x4 is to use a compatible donor. In your Case 1996-2001

If you want to re-use a 1992 dash in 96-01, you will have to strip out everything, and swap over everything. You can't use 1/2 old stuff and 1/2 new stuff.

Read this thread on trans swap -> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Well, if you want the later model intake and such on the older block should go into palce and use existing wiring. Would have to take care of some of the minor stuff for trans and electrical for speedo if important.

Do you actually need to swap the engine and transmission? If you are only needing to use the 4WD parts from the 92 and install on the 98, then you have minimal electronics involved.

Or, is the idea to have a manual in the 98 along with the 4WD components? Still, minimal issues.

If you really need the motor, then swap everything over and reuse the head from the '98 and maybe the intake, also minimal electronic issues. Just use what you need. Particularlly this thread the second post down pretty much covers the issue.

You can swap just the longblock from a 92 into a 98 without any problems. The only issue I can think of is that you'll need to put a 1/8 NPT pipe plug in the temp sender port at the back driver corner of the cylinder head to keep the coolant in, or just leave the sender in there with nothing connected to it.

As for the manual swap, you will need to either swap the dash+stuff, or pick up a late model manual pedal box/assembly. You will also need a late model ECU for a 5 speed IF you care about the check engine light being on, else you can jumper the NSS and call it a day. If you're picky about the interior looking right, you will need a shifter boot and the plastic bezel trimpiece that holds it in from a late model. If the 92 has the same rearend (8.25 vs d35) you can swap all the linkages and the transfer case plus driveshafts from the 92 into the 98 without issue. You'll want the 92 trans crossmember and bracketry as well.

You should be able to keep the electronics from the 98 without any real issues, aside from a CEL due to the TCU being unhappy about no AW4 present. If you can get it reflashed or buy one online that's set for a 5 speed you can avoid that issue entirely.

So basically -
swap 92 longblock, attach all 98 accessories and sensors
swap 92 transmission
buy and install late model 5 speed pedal box and master/slave (you will need to either adapt the lines or convert the 92 transmission to external slave cylinder, which is an upgrade anyways. internal slave cylinders suck!) OR rework the firewall and swap the harness, dash, steering column, HVAC system, etc. I'd get a pedal box, personally.
swap 92 transfer case and driveshafts (front from 92 will work, rear will work if the 92 and 98 both have the same rear diff), trans crossmember (install 98 VSS sender in 92 transfer case, unless swapping dash/electronics)
buy and install a late model transfer case shift lever and bezel plus a late model shift boot and bezel if you care how it looks. The sheetmetal blockoff plate that goes over the trans tunnel under the console should be the same or close enough to the same on 92 and 98, iirc. Just line the hole for the shifter up properly and screw it down, it's held down with self tappers from the factory.
jumper NSS P/N terminals or connect to the clutch safety switch for the late model pedal box if you care

I think that is about it.

edit: the exhaust bushing mount at the trans crossmember is different so plan on buying a new round-hole style rubber bushing and installing it in the crossmember adapter bracket from the 92 (which came with a half-moon style rubber bushing.) I believe the part is available online for around $3.

Last edited:
What about the NO BUSS issue in the cluster? I have read that removing the TCM cuts the loop to the cluster. Can these be reprogrammed?

Is the pedal box and brake/booster the same as my 92? This 98 has 4 wheel ABS. Can the front 2WD HUBS be converted to 4WD hubs or do I have to find ABS 4WD hubs? Is the shifter boot and bezel the same 92-98?

TCU / no bus question - no need to worry, just unplug the TCU instead of cutting the wires. It will be fine without.

pedal box and brake/booster - nope, they are different and bolt onto the dash support structure in different ways, otherwise you could just use the 92 one.

ABS - yes. Take the rotors from the 98, the bearings from whichever jeep has better wheel bearings, the knuckles and tone rings from the 98, the center housing and axleshafts from the 92. It should all bolt together. Or, disable the ABS and simply install the entire front axle (minus rotors/calipers, use those from the 98) into the jeep. Disabling the ABS on a 98 is as simple as removing every fuse and relay marked ABS.

Trans shifter boot and bezel are different, which is why I said you'd have to get the later model design one, though you might be able to make the older style work, I'm not sure. The transfer case shift lever and linkages/brackets I believe are the same except for the design of the plastic handle (not sure, though) and the bezel that clips into the console, those are going to be super cheap at a junkyard.

Is there a aftermarket pedal box available or do I need to find a salvage or oem box? Do you know if fabrication could make the 92 pedal box work Since I have all the extra parts? The cluster in the 98 is the crappy one with no gauges except speedo and fuel. I want to replace it with another that has the gauges. From what I understand thhis will be a problem.

I'm pretty sure OEM is the only one available for late model... sadly. You might make the 92 box work but iirc they are quite different.

On the late models, all you have to do for full gauges is find a 97-01 with full gauges and swap it in. The odo may be off, if you care, you can have it corrected at a dealership I believe.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that same year range of TJ clusters should be a direct swap as well. I have seen at least 2 XJs with TJ clusters in them. Not sure what differences there are, if any, aside from the overlays. The 97 doesn't have a light for the hatch being open; the TJ clusters don't appear to have that either, while later XJs do.

Last edited:
Back