• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 limited XJ, what 4.0s will drop in?

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
long story but i need to find a junkyard/parts jeep 4.0 to throw into a 2001 limited jeep Chreokee. i know the late 90s was when they went to coil packs or some other change to the head. so, which year to i have to look for?

i found a local wrecked 99 that it turns out i know the prior owner haha, would this work?
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/pts/3478663906.html

Last edited:
Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange. 1987-1995 YJ Wrangler blocks will also interchange with XJ and ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 1993-98 (Gen1)
YJ: Wrangler 1987-95 (Gen1)

Remove and re-use as needed or required your original: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, fan belt driven accessories, engine sensors. Distributor-less ignition began on the XJ with the 2000 model year.

If you have a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler, or WJ Grand Cherokee 2002-04.

0331 head interchange:
XJ: Cherokees 2000-01
WJ: Grand Cherokee 2002-04 (Gen2)
TJ: Wrangler 2002-06 (Gen2)

Last edited:
Not sure why 90-01 is the year break Tim listed, AFAIK you can use 87-90 blocks as well. Anything before a 00 will require a head swap or manifold adaptation etc but that's probably covered by the link hubs gave.

That being said, engines are $100 complete longblock at Sams pull-a-part up near here. Something like half a dozen XJs to choose from right now.

Not sure why 90-01 is the year break Tim listed, AFAIK you can use 87-90 blocks as well. Anything before a 00 will require a head swap or manifold adaptation etc but that's probably covered by the link hubs gave.

That being said, engines are $100 complete longblock at Sams pull-a-part up near here. Something like half a dozen XJs to choose from right now.

oh nice, they have any AW4 trannys?

I'm sure they do, there's a couple late models and a few early 90s there right now. We're going tomorrow sometime around 11AM to noon or so if I had to guess btw. I'll have basically every tool ever to work on an XJ with me.

edit: transmissions are $100, engines are $100, transfer cases are $100, front axles are $130 right now, rears are $130 too. I sometimes get price breaks if I buy a lot or if the guy doesn't feel like adding stuff up because I'm there basically every week these days.

Back