• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sagging drivers door on '00 XJ - options?

centuryhouse

NAXJA Forum User
I saw the thread on cutting metal & welding new hinges on. I'm not a welder and don't know any locally. Are there other, simpler options? Surely they didn't design a car with no adjustments possible? :exclamati

I think there is a way to SHIM the hinge, but its done on the DOOR side, vs. the HINGE/JAMB side..... I dont know much about it, just heard something recently about it somewhere. The shims would have to be made, and I think would only be a band-aid for an underlying issue.

As far as cutting and welding goes, you have just three options....
1.) buy the equipment and learn
2.) insurance claim
3.) hit up Craigslist, or perhaps your local NAXJA chapter for help/services.

Wish I could be of more help to you.

My Passenger door was doing the same thing. Upon learning that my only other adjustment was cutting out and welding the door jamb back in place, I settled for loosening the bolts on the door side and shimming them up so the door didn't hit the striker when closing. While messing with it a shim fell out which had the bolt pattern made for the hinge. So it (A) either came from the factory pre-shimmed (B) the previous owner made shims for it or (C) shims are available thru your local auto parts store or dealership either for an XJ or someother compatible door. I am guessing either A or C cause the door was still low when I bought it.

P.S. The door isn't perfect, but it's way closer than it was when I started.....

Last edited:
OEM door hinge shims are available from teamcherokee.com, ~$9.00 for two. You could look at the picture and cut out your own if you don't want to pay this for a couple pieces of tin. I got a pair sometime ago for my slightly sagging driver's door but haven't gotten around to messing with installation.

Back