• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 ho motor with in and 89 xj using renix system

jester1614

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing an install for a local xj owner of a 94 ho in an 89 xj. I recently got it together mostly and am curious on a few things

I already have the renix tps adapted to fit the HO throttle body

I know i will need the metal fuel lines from a 94 as well as the throttle cable (do i need just the pedal cable? or all of them? ie Cruise control as well/ any others)

my main question is this. i installed the 94 motor with the 94 flex plate. Now i see that I should have used the 89. can i swap in a 94 crank position sensor? and will that plug into the 89 harness? or do i need to drop the transmission now to pull the flex plate.

thanks in advance

ok i have now located the cps and see that for one the connectors are completely different. can i cut and solder the 89 connector onto the 94 cps?

I dont mind pulling the transmission if needed just wanted to see if it was avoidable

also if I do have to pull the transmission, should i run the 94 or 89 tq convertor (or are they not compatible?

Sounds like you are about to run into a bunch of issues you have not planned ahead for. The 89 Renix ECU uses several different sensors than the HO 91-95 years. The CPS and flex plate from the 89 must be used with the 89 ECU. HO CPS and flex plate are different and will not work with the 89 Renix ECU or wiring.

89 had a knox sensor in the block, HO did not. Renix 89 had and EGR valve, HO did not. And 89 had a CTS in the block, that is not the same as the HO temp sensor in the thermostat housing.

For starters. I would have reused the Renix, 89 intake and exhaust, and throttle body, and sensors. IIRC they will mount on the HO head, but I am not 100% sure of that, or what issues there might be. There are a number of swap threads here already on this if you search using the search tools.

Last edited:
I have done a ton of searching, and unfortunately didnt come across threads about issues intill after the motors were swapped. Also the reason for the swap involves a dented oil pan dropped lifters2 broken connecting rods as well as a few holes in the pan and block so i went in to this project not knowing if the head was going to be any good.

I am assessing and fixing problematic issues as i come across them (either via research or physically finding them)

I am using the renix exhaust manifold due to the 94 not mating to the stock down pipe.

my research shows that the knock sensor will still "work" (meaning not cause issues) as long as it is plugged in (can be left dangling, or zip tied to something)

I have rerouted the wiring for the cts from the block to run in the thermostat housing

Egr connection on the exhaust manifold will be plugged

thanks for your help with this

thank you for your help btw

The Renix CTS may need to be used to get the right temperature versus resistance data to the ECU. Check the FSM test data tables on the two. They are posted here in old threads, and I have the Renix data if you need it.

I do know for sure that the Renix intake manifold temp sensor IS not the same temp/ohms scale as the HO, and is no long made!!!! We have found a replacement one recently.

So do not try to use the HO air intake manifold temp sensor.

The EGR is an EPA and emissions inspection issue, but the engine will run fine with out one (like off road).

You do not need a knock sensor unless the engine knocks from excess loading, bad gas or carbon build up in the head....My 87 has not had one for 6 years, no problem.

Is this an auto trans or manual? I assume auto since you said flex plate? The Renix TPS is totally different from the HO TPS. The HO TPS will not work.

I don't know about the other stuff on the throttle body, linkage, IAC controller? But IIRC the throttle body is turned 180 degrees on the HO head?

I am using the renix cts relocated to the water neck.

air intake temperature sensor has already been swapped.

is there any way to retrofit the egr valve since i am using the 89 exhaust manifold?

yeah the tb is clocked differently, but the stock wires are long enough that it isnt an issue

Shoulda just done this. I know it's a little late....

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap
This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.
The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.
Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1998 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.
You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.
The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16" square drive or a modified 3/8" drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.
As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 07/24/2012

LOL, Cruiser to the rescue!!!

I missed this one:

You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems.

Is the camshaft gear the same, can he simply swap the dizzy? No doubt the indexing will be fun, as always!!

LOL, Cruiser to the rescue!!!

I missed this one:

Is the camshaft gear the same, can he simply swap the dizzy? No doubt the indexing will be fun, as always!!

Yeah. Dizzy swaps just fine. I was hoping the write-up would answer a few questions. EGR is a no-go with HO intake manifold though.

Knock sensor hole was threaded for the sensor, and has been installed

is there any reason i cant install CTS in the 94 water neck? it reaches and screws in.

so the only real issue is the egr, and i called the local emissions shop (California) and they said that it would just need to be seen by a smog ref, and prove that it can pass emissions as a 94, then it gets re-stickered as a 94 for smog purposes

is there any reason i cant install CTS in the 94 water neck? it reaches and screws in.

so the only real issue is the egr, and i called the local emissions shop (California) and they said that it would just need to be seen by a smog ref, and prove that it can pass emissions as a 94, then it gets re-stickered as a 94 for smog purposes

Why not put the cTS in the block after removing the front coolant galley plug?

so can anyone in here take a pic of a 94 engine setup under hood so i can see how the vacuum lines are routed?

and are there any cables other than the throttle cable that need to be replaced by 94 parts?

motor is already in, and I dont have a 5/16ths square drive (I have looked for one a few years ago and couldnt find one back then). also the 94 water neck is already threaded, and also the 89 water neck is corroded to crap and is falling apart/collapsing in on itself. so it would need to be replaced anyway

motor is already in, and I dont have a 5/16ths square drive. also the 94 water neck is already threaded, and also the 89 water neck is corroded to crap and is falling apart/collapsing in on itself. so it would need to be replace anyway

Excellent route to take then.

I believe the TV cable to the trans is different also.

Thank you guys for your help

now i get to pull the trans, luckily i hadnt put the starter in yet, or bolted the engine and trans together

do i need to drain the tranny before i drop it or is it relatively self contained (fluid wise) and if it needs to be drained how much fluid does it take and what kind

ok and whats the easiest way to pull the rear driveshaft? I am having trouble finding a write up. on the gm cars i am used to you just get the rear suspension to full drop and the driveshaft pulls out. is that the easiest way on xj's?

in reality i dont need to drop the transmission i just need it to go back about 6 inches.

That should prove most interesting, let us know how that goes, or not.

Back