• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drag link

ebickford

NAXJA Forum User
hi all,

I've got a new project started involving a d30 running some 33x12.50" tires. i've got a tie rod already made from some extra 4130 chromoly with dodge 3/4 ton rod ends connected to the stock drag link. This jeep is more of a exploration jeep so it doesnt see alot of serious rock action and the biggest it will ever see is 35s. I dont want to do an inverted t setup or a heim cross-over setup, im just looking to see if anyone has built a custom drag link for an inverted y style steering out of dom, not using heims. pics would be great, or atleast a description of the setup (tube shape, what rod ends)

thanks guys!

i think itd cost the average person more to build a fancy drag link than to buy a brand new stocker with lifetime as a trail spare... i have seen HD tie rods that use the dodge TREs like you mentioned though. its by far stronger than the stock drag link.

with that said, ive never seen it done.

I currently have stock draglink with Ironman4x4fab Tie rod with Moog TRE's They are the "3/4 ton" ends. Works good. At this point, If you want better steering I would go with WJ cross over steering.
Altho, since you would need a hole in the draglink for the TRE, I would recommend using a solid stock and bend it like the factory one. Thread the ends and use adjusting sleeves on both sides.

I did mull over the idea of buying a oem replacement from moog but it bugs me that the rod end isnt serviceable. I was thinking about using a stock rod end at the pitman, putting a bend in the tube right before the passenger knuckle and using another 3/4 ton tre there that i can service. As for connecting the tie rod to the drag link i was thinking about welding tabs to the draglink and using a heim in a double sheer format since i have alot of qa1 heims sittin around from another heep. does that make sense to you guys?

I've been running a 1ton steering setup with chevy ends for over 5 years now with o issues(4.5-5 inches of lift) and IF it bent I would have bigger issues as well.
You really can't go wrong with this setup..

I think this post is what you are looking for ... sort of. Goatman used heims and did a high-steer setup, but you could just as easy keep it in the stock locations and use TREs - with the exception of where the tie rod mounts to the drag link, that would have to be a heim.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...ver-knuckle-steering-system.html#post10309699

Looks like a sweet setup to me.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking about, thank you! now I guess it'll just be a matter of figuring out if I can use a straight drag link or if I need to slightly bend it near the passenger knuckle to keep the rod end from being at too much of an angle.

Back