• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF t-case bracket.....

Mpeckham22

NAXJA Forum User
so the bracket that holds up my t-case, like all of them, has 4 bolts.... now this is me second jeep that had this wierd issue and now its complicated everything... the bolts should go into the unibody... but for some reason two are the other way around and one of the two good ones snapped conveniently... and now im frustrated and confused....

2013-02-10_19-26-20_935_zps9d7d8222.jpg

2013-02-10_19-26-58_698_zps54f8a341.jpg

i need to install my RC t-case drop but naturally the only two bolts that would hold it on had one break.. i need help.. what do i do to fix this... why do i feel like i will have to drill out even more bolts?
thanks guys
Mike
NAXJA

That bracket is the transmission crossmember. And those two bolt sticking down are just studs. Can you spray them with kroil, then use vise grips or weld a nut onto them and back them out?

That's factory... 2 are studs and 2 are bolts from the factory because it greatly simplifies getting it aligned while installing it. Put crossmember over one stud at one side, thread the nut on a few turns, then line up the 4 studs for the bushing at the center and spin the nuts on, then wrestle the other side into alignment with its stud. Then you can thread the bolts in at your leisure.

You can usually get them out with some combination of penetrating lube, heat, and vise grips or other torque aids...

That's factory... 2 are studs and 2 are bolts from the factory because it greatly simplifies getting it aligned while installing it. Put crossmember over one stud at one side, thread the nut on a few turns, then line up the 4 studs for the bushing at the center and spin the nuts on, then wrestle the other side into alignment with its stud. Then you can thread the bolts in at your leisure.

You can usually get them out with some combination of penetrating lube, heat, and vise grips or other torque aids...

ah, i see, after some more digging i hear some method of using two nuts to allow you to get the stud out? thanks everyone for the responses

That works too.. double nutting is basically thread two nuts onto the stud, then thread the one closer to the frame back down until it jams into the first one (you'll need two wrenches) then use the one closer to the frame to back the stud out. I'd suggest heat before trying to back it out.

That works too.. double nutting is basically thread two nuts onto the stud, then thread the one closer to the frame back down until it jams into the first one (you'll need two wrenches) then use the one closer to the frame to back the stud out. I'd suggest heat before trying to back it out.

thankee!

Back