• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 2wd MJ what to look for

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'be found an '88 MJ I'm on the fence about buying.

Looks to be 5spd, and has a 4.0, haven't looked much closer other than to notice it has a new exhaust.

What should I be looking closer at for this year?

I'm not overly familiar with the Remix era, my XJ is a '00 and has made sure I know it inside an out though.

Would you be converting to 4x4?

If so, the fact that it's a pukegoat doesn't really affect you, because you'll be removing that transmission and changing driveshaft length anyways.

If it's staying 2wd, you should consider looking for an AX15 to replace that BA-10/5 with as soon as possible as well as the other parts needed for the swap, but that's about all I can think of... It might just be me, but even if you plan to keep it 2wd, personally I would suggest using a 4x4 AX15 and installing a transfer case of your choice at the same time, simply because that way you only change your driveshaft length once (assuming you keep the same rear it has now - what rear does it have?) and have the option of easily installing 4x4 in the future with just a driveshaft and front axle swap. Plus, 4x4 transmissions are far more common in the junkyard anyways.

Ok, so I'm back to looking at this ..

Radiator is corroded and crumbling but holding, pressure bottle is cracked in three places. It runs smoothly, and didn't overheat idling for 20mins.
There was some wierdness going on with the CCV system and the EVAP system as well. Not a lot for rust and the truck looks pretty solid.

As far as the cooling system goes ... I have a spare radiator for my 2000 xj ... Can I use that to convert to an open sytem?
Taking it for a test drive tomorrow before I make a decision. But it looks like easily dealt with issues but I played them up as it's about $7-800 in just labour with about $250 in parts retail. But I'm doing the work and get jobber rates at the parts store.

Basically, Open sys. rad, 16lb cap, and either later model stock overflow res or aftermarket. usually inexpensive @ the parts store.

I would also get 97+ heater hoses and bypass the heater core bypass switch apparatus.

Back