• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know what this is

sandsgg

NAXJA Forum User
So i pulled this out and was wtf, i have no idea what it is
2013-02-08_18-42-11_324_zps875d36aa.jpg

And here is it on the rad support where i found it
2013-02-08_18-42-24_321_zps24e279bf.jpg

Anyone have info on what it is, what it does and is it needed

Or a hood switch for an aftermarket alarm.

Definately a switch.

Alarm switch.

It's not on your parts list, that's for sure. Unless it's on the back or out toward a fingertip.

So i have no alarm, no hood light and no remote start. I thought it might be a switch as well, but out doesn't press in at all. And kastein, you're a trip

It looks to be corroded solid, I bet if you whack it with a mallet a couple times it'll free up. Definitely aftermarket and clearly no longer connected or necessary...

Not positive, but i think i saw something similar on my 90 xj as well though. Could be wrong. And freeze away works wonders on stuck things

Hood pin switch for a after market alarm or remote starter.

So i have no alarm, no hood light and no remote start. I thought it might be a switch as well, but out doesn't press in at all. And kastein, you're a trip

as stated above-- it's definitely a switch for something your Jeep no longer has. I wouldn't waste any more time on it than to toss it in the garbage can.

All of my XJ's have Viper(Directed) remote starts and they all have a pin switch on the hood to keep the Jeep from starting if someone is working under there and someone happens to hit the start button. It's a safety feature. It could be that someone once had an alarm or remote start then took it off.

So i got it unstuck, still don't know what its for, gonna have to pull the rad support to find what it was attached to

We told you what its for, your waisting your time and occupying valuable web space with useless posts.

No need to an internet tough guy.

Considering what it was connected to, it may be a good idea to figure out exactly what it was for.

No need to an internet tough guy.

Considering what it was connected to, it may be a good idea to figure out exactly what it was for.

I agree, the old wiring needs to be pulled if there is nothing connected to it. Most likely the pin switch completes a ground when open so the wire going to it is dead but I for one hate old rats nests that are not needed. If the alarm/remote start is no longer installed under the dash on the drivers side, remove all wiring and cap and or seal any connections to the Jeeps factory harness.

It could be that the radiator support is from another Jeep that had a remote start/alarm and was installed in your Jeep and the switch wasn't removed. Just a hunch.

I agree, the old wiring needs to be pulled if there is nothing connected to it.

Exactly. Or the opposite - if something is connected and working, you may be able to use it. I bought a Saturn SL1 that the PO didn't know they had remote start. A $35 keyfob later and I was warm in the winter.

Back