• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I get this perfectly round "bolt" off?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I got in my RE track bar mount and started taking off the old one. But on the old one, there its the round bolt. When I say round, its a perfect circle. It's not a normal bolt that has been rounded off.

It might be a easy fix, but I've never seen one. :dunno:

If needed, I'll get a pic of it up after school.

Assuming you're talking about the welded "nut" on top. Mine broke loose too, the joy.

2 words: patience, dremel

Vise grips didn't work, I started filing it it flat but figured it would be faster to just cut it. I believe the replacement is M14? But you could just use 1/2" or whatever grade 8 that fits.

HTH

some dont have that bolt, but i know what he's talking about. my friend's jeep had it (and broke off), but mine always had a regular nut and bolt.

My jeep had the same thing. I just loosened all the other bolts and nuts. It gave me enough wiggle room to get a cut off wheel, or sawsall blade in there to cut it out. Replace it with whatever grade 8 bolt fits though the hole.

If I remember correctly thats not a bolt so much as a stud. You need to get the nut off the other side of it, then pull the bracket off. That stud goes through a frame hole.

I unfortunately threw my stock bracket away so I'm going from memory here.

Is it on the diff end? It should be a torx head bolt. Need a torx socket to get it off. There will be a spot in the head of the bolt for a socket.

tybunu5y.jpg

Here's a pic.

Yes, weldnut, it's stays there. Well, hopefully stays there. I had 2 of those break loose on my 94, had to tack them back in place.

The bolts look like torx head bolts. I have never seen them used in that location. There are weld nuts on the top that sometimes break loose resulting in much foul language and more work to remove the bolts.

I had the same thing happen on my '99. Its a PITA to get to. Large vice grips didnt fit in that area enough to really clamp down. I tried all sorts of things, and in a last ditch effort I tried a small pair of vice grips.

I wedged them in place where the twist of the bolt would force more of the jaws into place.

Had that not worked, I was debating cutting the mount off to get to the bolt head. Cut the head off, and the "weld nut" should just pull out the top with the bolt head gone.
Glad I didnt have to do that though.

Back