• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door locks

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Renix era jeeps, I am noticing a thin white plastic material that is disintegrating on the lock and latch parts in the doors of my 80's XJ jeeps. What is the story on that thin white plastic?

Do I need to replace it, scarp it, and where do I get it?

I do not like stealerships! LOL

My locks are starting to give me serious cold weather problems!

Has no one here ever worked on their door latches-lock assys?

nope-- never......:bs:

I cut mine away with a razor knife (X-acto brand) and never looked back. I think it was there to keep things quieter, but once it began to deteriorate, it just got in the way of latch movement.

Thanks!!!! I am thinking it might also have been there as a dry lube between metal surfaces. I was just worried that if I yanked it all out, it might have sloppy tolerance issues, and hang up.

Thanks! Just the info I needed.

Has no one here ever worked on their door latches-lock assys?

Not yet!!

I have new locks for both the doors sitting in my shop...neither of the locks work although the opening mechanisms are fine. I've been putting it off and looking for a definitive write-up on how to do it. I have fat hands and I'm claustrophobic. I've had the panels off and LOOKED at the set-up but all the posts I've read on the subject say it's EeeeZ.

Anyone got a write-up...with pictures??

Last edited:
Back