• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tightening the rear hatch latch? Shakes when driving

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says, I have an 89 XJ that just turned over 200,000 yesterday (woo hoo!) and when I am on any sort of rough surface, the rear hatch rattles like crazy and is very irritating. I know it is closed all the way, but it still rattles. Is there an adjuster or anything on the latch to "tighten" it up and make it stop rattling? Very irritating on trail days to hear that thing shaking around behind me.

What sandsgg said...the bumbers are "adjustable"...I just put a couple of washers under mine to make it snug. Worked, but the real problem is that the latch post had a groove worn in it. Real fix will be a new latch post.

A new hatch weather seal might tighten things up a bit--200,000 miles and twenty-four years it could need one.

All the suggestions here are solid, especially slamming a blanket in the jam lol. But seriously though, look at that stuff and see if you can adjust the striker in a little bit too. It's just a T60 torx IIRC, loosen it up and push it in towards the front of the rig slightly, tighten, and close hatch and see if it rattles.... that did it for me on my 87.

Also, if you still have the carpet covered panel that goes on the inside of the hatch, check and make sure that's not loose and rattling too.

Thanks guys, gonna check it out tonight or tomorrow. I don't have the cover on the hatch right now so that's out. I will see if I can get it adjusted. The weather seal is a great suggestion as I've been noticing my other door seals are wearing out recently. Planning on grabbing a full set from teamcherokee.com as soon as my full-time job picks back up later this month.

Back