• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Loctite product for axleshaft race?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
My rear 44's axleshaft race is a bit sloppy on pass side, i want to use some Loctite compound but finding conflicting info on which to use.

Anyone done this and mind sharing what works best? Can this product be used on a steel housing such as the axletube and work on aluminum such as a trasfercase half as well?

609, 660?

We used the green shit (640 I think...?) on Travis's old HP44. The inner pinion bearing race would spin in the housing.

Peened the outside of the race, applied the loctite, then pounded it in.

I can look at what the bottle is when I get home John, but Colin is on the right track, I believe it was 603 or 609 though, not 640. I don't think I have any of that on hand.

Edit: Ideally you get an oversized race (if even available) but they can be spendy.

Last edited:
I can look at what the bottle is when I get home John, but Colin is on the right track, I believe it was 603 or 609 though, not 640. I don't think I have any of that on hand.

Edit: Ideally you get an oversized race (if even available) but they can be spendy.

What's the size difference between the bore and the OD of the race? I prefer to avoid using something like Sleeve Retainer - too much of a pain to break later.

If it's only a thousandth or two, and you're patient, take a center punch and stipple the ID of the bore (takes a while, but it displaces enough metal to tighten up the bearing.) If it's a lot, get some shim stock, and try to do one full wrap around the bearing OD (so the bearing stays centered in the bore.)

Back