• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension replacement/upgrade, What am I missing? Thoughts? Suggestions?

john`stamos

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ that I recently took to a mechanic and he gave me a list of things that needed to be replaced: Upper/lower ball joints, Pitman arm, stabilizer bushings & links. I have been putting off replacing these parts for a while but now my XJ is really starting to make some real bad clunking noises when turning so it's time to get around to replacing these parts.

While I'm under there, I decided to go from stock to a 3.5" Rubicon Express Super-ride lift. http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-...em.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=R/ERE6020

What I need to know is... do I need to buy and replace my shocks as well? What would you recommend (I'm on a budget)?

Secondly, I'm ordering these upper/lower ball joints from RockAuto, but I also want to go ahead and order the stabilizer bushings that need to be replaced. There seem to be a lot of options, how do I know what size I need? They have sizes from 23-26mm.

Also, I don't need an extended pitman arm, or sye with just a 3.5" lift, do I?

Is there anything I'm missing or need to consider?

Thanks for your help!

1. I would get a full leaf pack lift
2. If everything else is worn out Im sure the shocks are too.
3. I would order spicer or moog ball joints.
4. I dont remeber what size the sway bar is, you could go measure it to be sure.
5. You wont need a drop pittman arm period, might need a t case drop or a sye, but probably not.
6. Soak everything in PB blaster.
7. What kind of back yard shop writes a quote like that...

1. Yea, I was thinking about that
2. They are stock and have 130k on them
3. Why? Am I going to get that much more performance out of them?
4. It's whatever stock is.
5. I take his word that it needed to be replaced and I already have an OEM replacement laying around.
6. Yep going to do this.
7. It's just a regular shop in a Raleigh, NC

I've already replaced the brakes a while ago, along with the water pump and t-stat (and did it for a shit ton cheaper). My plan is to go ahead and buy these parts and maybe find someone with a shop to help me out (wink wink). I doubt many mechanics like bringing your car and parts and asking to install since I'm sure they make most of their money on parts, but I don't know.

2-You'll need new shocks if you install a lift, buy a kit with shocks.
3-Good ball joints last longer.
4-Swaybars come in multiple sizes, the bushing at the frame rails therefore come in differant sizes
5-Pitman arms dont often go bad, unless he can show you why it needs replacement, dont let him do it.

XJ's came with 4 different size swaybars through the years, although on a 96, maybe not. I"d guess it's 25 mm. You could just buy the smallest and use it. If it's only a couple of mm smaller, it will just tighten the swaybar action a bit until it wears in. Why would a pitman arm need to be replaced? The connection the draglink is a wear joint. Unless it's bent or cracked, there is no wear associated with it that I know about.

You can wait on shocks, unless they are totally trashed. They don't do a whole lot on XJ's. If he is going to charge $100 for stock swaybar links, go ahead and get JKS disconnects for a bit more. I think the stock links are like $15 from most part places. For that matter, just grab the swaybar and try to move it. If there isn't a really noticable amount of play, I wouldn't bother with any work on it. I'd worry more about the draglink, tierod, and trackbar. You will need a new adjustable trackbar if you do the lift.

Pics of the pitman arm.....

Could be just a worn out TRE

Or the gearbox might need a rebuild.

2-You'll need new shocks if you install a lift, buy a kit with shocks.
3-Good ball joints last longer.
4-Swaybars come in multiple sizes, the bushing at the frame rails therefore come in differant sizes
5-Pitman arms dont often go bad, unless he can show you why it needs replacement, dont let him do it.

Thanks, Yea I'll be doing the work with some help, hopefully. Not the guy who wrote that quote (I don't even live there anymore).

I found these: DANA SPICER Part # DS706944
4WD; XJ Cherokee; For Diff: Dana 30 Front, Reverse Rotation; 27 Spline
for only $10 more than the ones I linked in the OP, so I'll go ahead and upgrade.

XJ's came with 4 different size swaybars through the years, although on a 96, maybe not. I"d guess it's 25 mm. You could just buy the smallest and use it. If it's only a couple of mm smaller, it will just tighten the swaybar action a bit until it wears in. Why would a pitman arm need to be replaced? The connection the draglink is a wear joint. Unless it's bent or cracked, there is no wear associated with it that I know about.

You can wait on shocks, unless they are totally trashed. They don't do a whole lot on XJ's. If he is going to charge $100 for stock swaybar links, go ahead and get JKS disconnects for a bit more. I think the stock links are like $15 from most part places. For that matter, just grab the swaybar and try to move it. If there isn't a really noticable amount of play, I wouldn't bother with any work on it. I'd worry more about the draglink, tierod, and trackbar. You will need a new adjustable trackbar if you do the lift.

I think new links come in that lift kit if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to get someone else to look at the draglink, tierod, and trackbar because offhand I wouldn't know if they need replacing. But I'll hold off on those for now. So my stock shocks will work? Good.

Pics of the pitman arm.....

Could be just a worn out TRE

Or the gearbox might need a rebuild.

I went out and looked at it earlier and I couldn't see any problems with it. Then again, I'm not a mechanic.

Back