• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Magnaflow users..please advise

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched through the manusia of info on here and have read a great deal regarding magnaflow exhausts.

I would like:

1.) The size of your down pipe (of you replaced it from that point) and remaining exhaust diameter, model of catalytic converter and model of muffler.

2.) Your review/analysis of your maganaflwo exhaust based on what you are running

My cat is going out so I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade everything. I have read guys using 2.25 or 2.50 if I remember correctly and there is a range of optimal size for backpressure and such. I read pros and cons of both sizes.

TIA!

I have a magnaflow turbo xl with the stock plumbing, cat and an APN manifold on my 91 and I like it.
I put a turndown in front of the rear axle because everything from the muffler back was shot.

For the first few months I really didn't like this combo. I thought it was tinny sounding and reminded me of a bad ricer. Once the muffler broke in, the tone changed significantly and now it's much deeper and manly sounding.

According to the hype I have more power but 32's on 3.55's really makes it difficult to tell.

The 2.5" Magnaflow I have sounds good(better than Flowmaster and Dynomax), but is not a straight-through design, and compression-brakes when I let off the gas. I tried a TJ's Corsa cat-back and loved the quality, but not the sound. It didn't compression brake when I let off. I'm going to give the Borla XS a shot, since I loved the Borla cat-back I had on my '94.

So because of your thread, I decided to look at the Borla Pro XS 40358 I eyeballed months ago and found it for $75 shipped, at least $40 cheaper than anyone else including Jegs/Summit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-40358...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7662963d&vxp=mtr
They have 2 left at that price(many will price match). I looked up some Borla Pro XS reviews by Mustangs and LS1Tech and they all liked them better than the chambered Flowmasters and Magnaflows, though the sound is quieter. I forgot to say that I have a Borla header with the 2.25" downpipe, a custom Mandrel Bending Solutions' 2.25" test pipe with two o2 bungs, opening up to the 2.5" Magnaflow 13216 XL Turbo muffler(for sale once the Borla gets here), then a 2.5" Mandrel Bending Solutions' tail pipe.

Gradon- will Mandrel Bending Solutions make up a 2.25 or 2.5" front downpipe? Do they have one already in their files? They are far for me.

They can custom make them, but have the 2.25" and 2.5" tails on file. Somewhere down the line it'd be nice to have a full 2.5" from the collector back(Dino modified his Borla to have a 2.75" collector IIRC), cause the velocity of the exhaust out of the tail seems extremely high to me. If I can track down an old co-worker, I'll get the new dual Cliffords that have been collecting dust in his closet for 10 years.

Last edited:

chuckle at end do to the point proven that the exhaust velocity is high(was like 6' away).

Last edited:
Borla 40358:
7C8ABB81-A2DE-47C3-99D1-0754FF7F6D20-3800-000004A16BBD6729_zps24e3a82f.jpg

A973E0DA-8098-455B-B79E-908183F9160D-3800-000004A17862E096_zps3f7d06c0.jpg

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I know there's many people here using Magnaflow cats, but not sure if many are using their mufflers.

Back