• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendations on best axles for dd/weekend crawler

dirtyjerseyjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a 99 xj and I plan on building it for a dd/weekend crawler, I'm in nj and plan for rausch creek on the weekends I was wondering your takes on axles, My ideal set up would be 4 inches on 35-37s. I dont want it to be super wide and i heard the h2 wheels will help with this ,Just looking for gearing and axle oppinions, thanks

With 37's I'd go straight to 1 tons. Dana 60 front 14bolt or 70 rear. On a dd I'd probably go 4.88 if there's a lot of highway involved. A 44 will be your weak link and will cost more in the long run. A 60 with stock shafts is strong enough for 37's, a dana 44 will be marginal with $700 shafts.

Daily driving a rig on 1tons won't be that fun, I've talked to several people that have done or are currently doing it and it's just unpleasant to deal with on a daily basis.. not to mention wonce you start going bigger than say a 35 you're going to need a deeper gears in your tcase.

Daily driving a rig on 1tons won't be that fun, I've talked to several people that have done or are currently doing it and it's just unpleasant to deal with on a daily basis.. not to mention wonce you start going bigger than say a 35 you're going to need a deeper gears in your tcase.

they are doing it wrong.

What issues arise from running one ton axles on the street? Poorly set up rigs drive like shit on the street weather they run halfton axles or rock wells. My superduty rides great on the street and its got a dana 60/sterling 10.25.

Back