• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

surco safari rack

poppyseed

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I've been wanting to get a surco safari rack for awhile now and I'm about to go ahead and get one, my question is what size racks are you guys that own them running, pics would be great as well. Thanks

This was on my old 96. I believe it was a 50x60". I had to use Kargomaster brackets to mount it to the factory rails. This was back in 94, so hopefully Surco has the proper hardware now. Also, the spare is mounted using the Surco tire mounting bracket.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Even though they are aluminum, dont let that discourage you, mine survived a rollover that totalled the jeep. It was slightly tweaked at one corner. It has gone to live on two other jeeps since then.

I think it was a 40x60

yeah judging from your guys pictures I think I am going to go with the 45x60" do the j100 clips secure it to our factory roof rack or to the rain gutters?

I got mine off autoanything for 330 shipped to my door with the j100 clips to attach it to the factory roof rack rails.

I too went the roof rack rail mounts on my Surco rack. I've had that set up for over 10 years now, and it's held up well. Any minor flaking from the original paint on my Surco rack has been dealt with a Black Sharpie pen.

I also don't care for the gutter mount type brackets, as they have a tendency to booger up the gutter rail and create rust problems down the road....

the smaller size would be perfect size for a sunroof.

Explorer 1, did you order a bunch of extra gutter mount rails direct from Surco?

Was designed to carry in excess of 300 lbs.
Holy crap Fred, 300lbs?! :eek:
Man I refuse to mount my tire on the roof, I have a rack for camp chairs, sleeping bags, shovel and hi-lift maybe 50lbs ... I hesitate to even put a gas can up there. I just hate having weight that high.

Looks like you get it done though, and that's what matters. :thumbup:

Back