• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack Shackles?

With any sort of lift longer shackles are recommended. Unless you do relocation brackets. Or both. Mj shackles give a little bit of lift

I'm considering converting the XJ to spring under, and if I use a 4.5" lift spring under the axle, I should retain stockish height.

Of course, I also have an 8.8 set up for an MJ with metric ton springs on it already...I could just move the perch over a little and relocate the shackle a bit further back in the rear...

I've been looking at a lot of bastard leaf pack threads, but it seems like no one talks about the rear shackles. If I do an s10 bastard pack, using the xj main leaf, should I be worried about the shackle angle as I approach a 4-5" lift?

I did the same...did tons of bastard leaf research and almost none ever mentioned shackle angle.

To answer your question, yes, I would take shackle angle into consideration. In fact if you are looking for an ideal angle while using the XJ main for your bastard pack, you won't see it unless you use relocation boxes.

If you want to avoid using relocation boxes, then I would reconsider using the XJ main and try searching an ideal, longer 2.5 main from a different application like a van or full size pick- up.

This is a mock up of my S10 bastard pack. XJ main, S10 main,S10 2nd and 3rd. 2" Teraflex shackles. The S10 leafs have considerably more arch than the XJ. Once you form the main XJ into the S10 pack, it shortens the length considerably. This combo gave damn near 4 inches, and can provide a smooth ride with ideal shackle angle.

I ended up buying Froehlich relocation boxes, but this pic is without the relocation boxes. Needless to say I will be reconfiguring this leaf pack. I'm looking for about 2.5~3" of lift,plus I still have to install degree shims which will add just a tad more.

image_zps43efb295.jpg

With my rear Im planning to snage zr2 blazer leafs, and use the whole pack, will stretch the rear about 1.5" then use the relocator box and 1" shackle. And a 1" UBE kit. Should net me around 5.5" to 6" lift. A buddy on mine did explore leafs, and it stretched the rear 3" and net him about 6.5" lift with relocation box and 1" shackle.

Back