• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Locker after regear.

XJ_Mann

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys pretty new here. Ive lurked for a few months and this forum has helped me so much. One of these days I will have to post up a build thread or some pics of the rig. But anyway is my first post.

First off I wanna say that ive searched until my eyes bled on this subject and cant find exactly what I'm looking for.

right now im running 33 inch tires with stock axles 30/35 front and rear with 3.55 gearing . :puke:

My end goal is a 30/44 with 44 locked and 4.56 gearing.

I found a 44 out of an 89 xj pretty cheap that already has an aussie locker, zj discs, and a riddler dif cover. But it's only 3.55.

Now I know that if I want to regear I will need new housings for the 30 and 44. but I want to know if the aussie locker in the 44 now will work after the new housing.

Thanks in advanced :cheers:

housing? you mean carrier? yes, the locker will work as long as it's an open carrrier and not limited slip. however, you do not need to change the carrier in the 44, you can just use a thick gearset. they are common for a d44 since rubicons use them.

Yes I meant carrier, sorry. But Great! that's what I was looking for, THanks so much.

Do they make the thick gearset for the 30?

not sure, but i've never seen them. one thing to consider, the stock dana 30 carrier is a weak link in the axle. you'll get less deflection with a full case locker like a grizzly and at that point.

awesome. so new carrier and gears up front, and just new thick gears in the back and I can keep the locker.
:wave: Thanks again

yep. you can keep the rear locker regardless, im just saying its cheaper to get the thick gearset instead of buying a carrier unless you get one for super cheap.

FYI: If you are looking for deeper gears for a 30/44 combo, I have a HP Dana 30 out of a 4 cyl 5 speed cherokee which is 4.10's and the 4.10 gears out of an Izusu Rodeo dana 44. 4.10 gears cheap. Good luck on your project.:patriot:

FYI: If you are looking for deeper gears for a 30/44 combo, I have a HP Dana 30 out of a 4 cyl 5 speed cherokee which is 4.10's and the 4.10 gears out of an Izusu Rodeo dana 44. 4.10 gears cheap. Good luck on your project.:patriot:

Not to thread jack, how much? Wouldn't mind having better gearing for the 31's

Pretty st on 4.56 thanks though! Ive gotta pay to get gears put in and id rather only do it once. :spin1:

Back