• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Alternator ? Brand preferences

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I'm in the process of upgrading my charging system on my '01 XJ. I've already got my main wiring upgrade kit f/ Jon (5-90) in the garage waiting for installation and looking at purchasing a -2001-2003 Dodge Durango/Ram 5.9L 160 amp alternator.

I'm pretty familiar w/the install process and what needs to be done for the swap.

My questions: What brand would you guys recommend? I can get the Duralast f/ Autozone or Napa Power Supreme... likely also available at Oreily or Parts Plus... but of the A-Zone or Napa brands who would you recommend?

My experience has been that Napa parts are a cut above A-zone parts, especially when it comes to electronics. However, I'd like to get others experience as well.

Thanks,

I use my local rebuilder first
If that is not available, I go Napa.

Thinking of going with the 130A at the same time?

I use my local rebuilder first
If that is not available, I go Napa.

Thinking of going with the 130A at the same time?

Thanks... for me I'd rather upgrade my OE 117A to the 160A over the 130A unit.

I need to call Napa to get a price on their Alternator as they're not listing a price online.

Had a 100Amp Napa since 2000 Knock on wood

DC Power. They make 180, 250, 270. They are billet, and expensive.

I don't know how they fare in mud though. They are great with the car audio scene.

i would always recommend oem parts, not that you have to use a factory replacement for your jeep but just a mopar one, ive been through alternators like candy, 4 in 3 years all different types of failures, i finally bought a mopar one, it may not come with a lifetime warrenty but its never givin me issues in the last 2 years

If you can't go local, I recommend mean green. Lost of power, and @ or around idle has more power.

I have been very happy with my 160amp durango ALT .
cant remember where but got it one of the usual parts houses autozone or advance so its a probably not a "premium brand" . but its been in there for a year or so now and has gotten wet and muddy plenty of times.

The late model ones cant be rewound for more amps
(or so i was told by the alt shop i found locally)
Mebbe because its externally regulated ?

Mines an 01 btw

Last edited:
.... 160amp durango ALT .

Mines an 01 btw

I think this is the route I'm going to go. For under $200 it should be a nice upgrade over my 117A OE 2001XJ unit.

Thanks for the comments and input. I've got quotes from $400 - $650 for a couple 200A alternators and I just can't spend that much for an alternator...

XJ's, and most other vehicles come with different output alternators depending on accessories. All of them should be plug n pray. So, if you have a 90A alt, and you want the 117 (or whatever it is) You can buy that and swap it in place, no mods necessary. The 134/160 I believe take a small amount of work to fit. Msotly to do with the bracket being slightly too small?

Back