• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ autp trans options

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
well i have an auto XJ, i hate it. it's on 35s with 4.56s but since i can't control which gear it goes into all the time it tends to shift right into over drive and bog down. i really want a manual but.... way too much work.

what have other people done?

Well ya, I could just spend a lot of time and money to get 4.88s and I don't have a lot of either.
3rd works if I feel like running around at 3,000-3,500 all the time.

I do a lot of back road driving with hills at 50 mph or so and it can't keep up, also any hills I run into it won't continue up them at the same speed unless I just floor it. It's not a dog by any means but the top end is lacking. I also tend to drive my jeep like I stole it so that's another reason I need to be able to select the gears.

I'll look into the manual valve bodies, I want a 5/6speed but that seems like more of a project than I want to take on.

can you drop down to 33" tires? Honestly, 35s and 4.56 is not an ideal combo as you obviously know. You could sell the 35s recoup some of the cost and buy 33s and be in a better place.

I have a 99 with 35's, 4.88s and ax-15. I spend a lot of time at 3000+ on the highway. My jeep don't mind. Makes good power up there. I can still get 18mpg on the highway too. Maybe yours is just getting old, I don't know. I know that I can make it up 4% grades at 60mph pulling 4k lb trailers and staying in 5th gear. That was in cali, so I couldn't go much faster with the trailer. My motor is definitely stock.

Well ya, I could just spend a lot of time and money to get 4.88s and I don't have a lot of either.
3rd works if I feel like running around at 3,000-3,500 all the time.

I do a lot of back road driving with hills at 50 mph or so and it can't keep up, also any hills I run into it won't continue up them at the same speed unless I just floor it. It's not a dog by any means but the top end is lacking. I also tend to drive my jeep like I stole it so that's another reason I need to be able to select the gears.

I'll look into the manual valve bodies, I want a 5/6speed but that seems like more of a project than I want to take on.

3500 RPM is not that bad, the 4.0 is more efficient at higher RPM. That being said there is no reason you can't go down to 33's, you just might have to change the speedometer gear to match the size so your gauge reads accurately.

I would make sure your trans is functioning properly first. Should up shift and down shift without issue. Mileage? year?

I run an AX-15 on 35's and 4:88's and love it.

Either regear it to 4.88 or put 33's back on, You will love the extra power with 33's not to mention your lowrange will be better.

Did you put the 4.56's in planning on going to 35s or were the 35s not part of the plan when regearing?
That's how he bought it, and not for nothing but when you go to 35's your going to be looking for deeper gears in you lowrange if you don't have them in the axles.

Montana Fab makes a controller for the AW4
Montans Fabrications controlller enable you you lock the transmission in 1st or second gear, something the Jeep engineers didn't think we need.
I have one and use it primaily to lock the trans in gear, especiailly on long, steep downgrades where an unexpected up shift can cause big problems.

The Baja shifter is a good choice if you want to manually operate the trans.
The AW4 is a good off-road trans and, when in properly operating condition, only needs helps to stay in the lowers gears, when desired.

Ok, before I call people names. How hard is it to go from auto to manual?

Also I have a Clayton long arm kit welded on so I can't take the lift off.
I am looking into the manual valve bodies, I don't see why people are looking at me like I'm an idiot because i or want to just pick the gear my jeep is in. That's about it.

Last edited:
Back