• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking Noise when Shut Off

Tim00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Just ran into an issue with my Jeep. My buddy noticed that my Jeep was making a clicking noise, just sitting in the driveway. Went to go out and check it out. Keep in mind the vehicle is shut off.

I went to go start it up, it stuttered some like the battery needed jump but it started. The said clicking noise was clicking to the RPM of the engine until I shifted it into neutral. It sounded very similar to the sound a starter makes when your battery is dead. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Edit: The noise also stopped when I opened my door.

Thanks.

Another thing to mention:

When I was trying to start it and gave up, it began trying to start itself for a short period of time.:dunno:

Year?

Solenoid on starter acting up? That would be a reason the engine may be trying to start with the key off. The disk in the solenoid may be sloppy, and momentarily touching between the two contacts, and when they spark, they're blown off again. Just a shot in the dark...

I dunno, Renix guy here...but:

Does the EVAP Purge Solenoid still vent the fuel tank after the ignition is off??

Back