• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch master cylinder

sandsgg

NAXJA Forum User
So my second clutch master cylinder on my 88mj broke today, I'm wondering if it's crappy manufacturing standards or is something in my truck breaking them.4.0 btw

I used a Howe mastercylinder. You can even get rebuild kits for the stainless liner.

There should still be a writeup on here about it.

They have been breaking internally, looking through your link i believe i may be missing hardware on the pedal where the arm mounts to the mc, i have a craptastic amount of slop there. you said your 85 has an all metal rod, could you snap a pic so i can compare to a known good part

My 85 is now an automatic and has been for almost 10 years. I will see if I can find my old pix of how I adapted it. It was pretty easy. I took the metal "eyelet" from the old master cylinder, cut it off and ground it down so it would stick in the end of a coupling nut. I then brazed it to the nut. That way the new eyelet setup could be adjusted on the howe master cylinder. It worked great.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1995250&cc=1179558

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1179558,parttype,1996

getimage.php

getimage.php

I know what that looks like lol this is my second time putting one in, i was actually hoping too see a correct connection at the pedal

95jeeppedal.jpg

While mine is metal, it looks just like this attached.

This is a terminal state if you do not reinforce the weld on the arm of the peddle assy.
P1010265.jpg

Found my photos:

DSC00203.jpg

I also had to repair and reinforce the firewall on mine!!!! It was rusted and cracked!

More photos here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1083950

See i don't have any of those plastic washer looking things on that last pic. Do you think i could probably get away with throwing some washers on it as spacers

See i don't have any of those plastic washer looking things on that last pic. Do you think i could probably get away with throwing some washers on it as spacers

The trick is to get the shaft to be parallel to the bore of the MC, and centered, so if it needs whshers to do that, then YES. Mine first died from a bent arm on the peddle assy. Then the arm broke on the peddle assy, like in the photo, fixed that, then the next one nearly broke as the fire wall was cracked and moving when I pressed the peddle. Then I had to reinforce the firewall.

Turns out the arm is broken and hanging on by half aa weld, so right now i am jb welding it to try to get it home. Probably going to get a whole new assembly from the jy and weld the crap out of it so i won't have to deal with it again. Stupid amc not welding things well enough

Turns out the arm is broken and hanging on by half aa weld, so right now i am jb welding it to try to get it home. Probably going to get a whole new assembly from the jy and weld the crap out of it so i won't have to deal with it again. Stupid amc not welding things well enough

Well it took 26 years and about 250,000 miles for mine to fail. Not bad IMHO. But yes, it could have been better. I think the rusted and cracked firewall helped mine finally fail.

Mike I'm g gonna have to shake your hand one of these days, i may be in Houston this weekend

I'm with you on Mike Appreciation Day! The recent photo link Mike pointed you to was my clutch pedal problem, which I didn't realize was a clutch pedal problem, until Mike and Matthew Currie got me pointed in the right direction. You snapped two - I was on number 5.

All fixed, used a pedal from an early 90s xj, the pedal sits about half an inch further to the left but it works ok. I also used some washers as spacers to line the mc's rod up better.

Back